Head truma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tal

Forum Crew Member
If I understand tou right, you have a hypotensive pt with head trauma...(right?!) so...you need to give NaCl to keep the BP above 90 systolic to keep the CBF normal as posible

Sasha

Forum Chief
He had a head injury and dilated pupile

Where are you people getting a missing pupil? I think falcon is a foreigner, so he may have difficulty with the English language (heck, some Americans have difficulty, too!)

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
That's only because it is the English language, not the 'merican language ;)
I butcher it on a regular basis and up here in Canada we still have the Queen.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Where are you people getting a missing pupil? I think falcon is a foreigner, so he may have difficulty with the English language (heck, some Americans have difficulty, too!)

I dont know about anyone else, but this is what I was refering to:

Originally Posted by FTRPO
Aright I think I got it.

A call that we had the other day was a person that was hit by a car, after the patient examination(assessment) I concluded that he had a severe head injury and his pupils were missing. Do I have to tell him hes dead? Note the person was ejected. I wanted to ask, the patient lost a lot of blood, do I have to give him mine? Oh by the way we are Basic. Thanks.

Thats gotta be it.

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
This is one of the best threads ever! Thanks for lifting up my dull Friday afternoon with this hilarious interpretation of the original post. :beerchug:

FTRPO

Forum Crew Member
Ms. Medic your reading too far into it. Nothing in the original post made sense and nothing that I said really did either. I didnt really think that I cleared up any confusion. Matter of fact I think I confused you even more. I wish you would have picked up the sarcasm I think you would of enjoyed it.

Melbourne MICA

Forum Captain
Taking the piss

I thought Aussies were good at taking the piss.

I think the poor guy was tring to enquire about management of traumatic hypovolaemia.

Well, first disconnect the radiator hose from your truck............., make sure the pts name is Spock because glycol is green.......

Sorry sport. You'll need a thick skin on this forum.:):):)

MM

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hey. He's attempting to ask a question in a language that is not his native language. Let's cut him some slack, please?

Melbourne MICA

Forum Captain
Hi all

I want to ask about the person being hit by a car. After the examination. He had a head injury and dilated pupile. Do I have to give him the solution.
Note the person excited.

i want ask this pt loos blood, how to compensate it?

ambulance car is BLS.

sorry i confused :sad: about it please help me.

Sorry we were all taking the micky.

Head Trauma is a complicated subject with no definitive solution in the pre-hospital setting - it requires surgical interventions more often than not. Head injured pts as a general rule fare very poorly.

However secondary brain injury caused after the initial insult by poor perfusion can be partially and temporarily compensated by fluid administration and management of ventilation and is a good area of interventions by EMS if still controversial in many ways.

Dilated pupils may well indicate a severe head injury with a poor prognosis but are not a reliable indicator by themselves. Management of pain, immobilisation and packaging, recognition of the pattern of injuries -(you said he had been ejected - not a good start for the pt), ventilation control and fluid and other drug administrations all help to some degree. Fluids will given as per your local protocol.

And don't forget, rapid transport to the nearest primary trauma receiving facility is always a good course of action.

A bit better Sasha?

MM

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OK. Not sure where the OP was going.... but this thread makes my head hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.