have i gone crazy?

have i gone crazy

Its 30:2 if you are by yourself, 15 and two with two rescuer cpr, especially if intubated. Ya know, I teach this all the time and still mess it up from time to time:)

Its 30:2 if you are by yourself, 15 and two with two rescuer cpr, especially if intubated. Ya know, I teach this all the time and still mess it up from time to time:)

No only child and infant goes to 15:2 with two rescuer CPR. Adult stays at 30:2 with both.

and forgot how to do cpr? when i last took my cpr class compression:ventilation was 30:2 on everyone but 2 rescuer infant. however i am doin an online review for my NR test tomorrow and it had this question:

"You arrive on scene with your partner to find an 11 year old boy unconscious after being dragged from the water. He is not breathing and has no pulse. CPR in this case should include________________.

Your Answer: 30:2 compression to ventilation ratio
Incorrect

Correct Answer is: 15:2 compression to ventilation ratio

New AHA guidelines specify that for two person CPR on a child you should use a 15:2 ratio. It would be 30:2 if you were alone and did not have your partner Joe.
"

has aha changed their teaching, or is this incorrect/old information in the review?

-Jeff

AHA has indeed put it out so that it is 30:2. I believe that AHA went crazy when they said the "correct answer" you received. 1 or 2 person CPR shouldn't make a difference in the ratio. In 99% of EMT-B books, that remains true. But it is a fairly recent change. For example, out of the Brady series, only the 11th edition has the 30:2 ratio. The 9th and 10th don't. They are honestly considering taking out the breaths completely, but that is just speculation for now. To be truthful, I think as long as you get at least 15 compressions in and 2 breaths per cycle, it isn't going to make a big difference. I myself would do 30:2, but go by the latest standard for your test.

AHA has indeed put it out so that it is 30:2. I believe that AHA went crazy when they said the "correct answer" you received. 1 or 2 person CPR shouldn't make a difference in the ratio. In 99% of EMT-B books, that remains true. But it is a fairly recent change. For example, out of the Brady series, only the 11th edition has the 30:2 ratio. The 9th and 10th don't. They are honestly considering taking out the breaths completely, but that is just speculation for now. To be truthful, I think as long as you get at least 15 compressions in and 2 breaths per cycle, it isn't going to make a big difference. I myself would do 30:2, but go by the latest standard for your test.
According to PALS and AHA it IS 15:2 for 2 rescuer. Most EMT books apparently don't feel the need to tell the providers all the standards

According to PALS and AHA it IS 15:2 for 2 rescuer. Most EMT books apparently don't feel the need to tell the providers all the standards

Fair enough then. I stand corrected lol.
AHA is strange, but whatever. :) I guess you just do what you gotta do lol. I'm yet to find an EMT book that does specify between provider standards. The Red Cross vs. AHA will probably always remain. :rolleyes:

....when you think about it, I guess it could technically come down to local protocol or what the AIC on the truck says....:unsure:

AHA guidelines:
Adult is always 30:2
Single rescuer child / infant is 30:2
Dual rescuer child / infant is 15:2

Reason why it's 15:2 for children / infants is because their arrest are more respiratory based problems then cardiac.

Back