Harassment not being dealt with

vfib

Forum Ride Along
i need some advice from anyone but would love to hear from some upper managers or chiefs if at all possible. So I am a female working at a department as a medic and have been a medic for 20 years. I work currently only about 24 hours a month. At some point someone turned the dept into the state for having expired meds, which was a problem for a long time. They all have thought it was me because for a constant year, I pointed it out that it was a state violation. So the other day I worked a shift, got harrassed thouroughly by a guy that just started there. He was being ridiculous and yelling at me during the last two hours and actually pounding his hand down asking if I understood what he was saying. I asked him to stop at least 20 times and he kept going and going. He is another Paramedic and not an officer who during the calls we ran during the night committed abandonment on the first one, the gene was right next to the station and he ran over there first and then left and met me at the Ambulance and then the second call we both agreed since it was an assault, we would stage and he then pulled right up to an unsecured scene. To give a little more knowledge of the day, after he told me all day long about what a great knowledgeable life saver he was, I was praying that we wouldn't have a call at all. I never mentioned to him anything about the issues because by then Inlearned that he is always right, so I picked my battles.

After the call I talked to the chief and went thru the chain of command. This guy has done this before and actually did a similar thing to one of the officers 5 days prior.

I have heard nothing and it has been more than two weeks since this was reported. Since then the rumor mill is that this guy found my email open and went thru it and showed everyone I called the state. He started working here 6 months ago and I have been having email
issues since. The guy has hascked other emails at the dept and 8 have had to close mine, get a new phone and now I need to have my computer gone thru.

My main question is...I feel like they are ignoring everything. This is very much a "Good ole boys club" and I am shunned. Not only have I had to deal with that, but also rumors that the chief starts conversations about my tits all the time. A few months back Ininqured as well about becoming an officer and he told
me how the long process is and interviews and such and he brings in a lot of different people and compiles an interview board so no one can say he is favoring. So I told him Inwas going to put in for the next opportunity and then he just directly reported someone into the captain position and didn't use any process.

The village over sees the dept and I am thinking I need to go to them at this point. I know this will ruin my career there. At one point Inwas putting in a couple hundred hours a month, now I am not able to. I have requested policies and I am being ignored at this point.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Why not just leave there if it's so bad. You said you're only working one 24 now a month. Some places don't change and if it's that toxic and unsafe, I don't see any value in staying and trying to change a place that clearly doesn't care for change. If they are a sinking ship, just let them sink.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Leave

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
So you recognize that pursuing this beyond the station house is going to cause you problems, potentially making your continued involvement with the organization nonviable; so you're in the right place mentally. The next question is do you have evidence to support your claims? Video, photographs, emails, witnesses willing to talk on the record. Not hearsay, conjecture, or feelings, but actual evidence. If you dont, know that this is going to be an uphill battle.

Now, you need to make a decision. Do you want to pursue this up the municipal chain of command(council, mayor and so on)? You may be able to achieve a Pyrrhic victory, but it's important that you understand that it might ultimatley result in your separation from the organization.

Going up against a good old boys network isn't easy and isn't always successful; and even when it is technically successful, the juice isn't always worth the squeeze. I'm not saying dont do it. All I'm saying is that examine the fact, your options, potential benefits and drawbacks of your actions. No one can make the decision for you.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you work 24 hours a month (I'm assuming you work FT elsewhere, since you are only work 24 hours a month), you are harassed at work , there have been investigations due to state violations, and you want to be a supervisor there?

leave now, maybe file a harassment complaint with the village (making sure you have all your ducks in a row), and realize you are better off without them......

If you are a 20 year medic, and halfway decent, there is a good chance you can find better employment elsewhere

Unless there is a particular reason you are maintaining your connection to this apparently toxic employment....

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I second the above. You're not making your living there, cut the sling and go somewhere else.

OP
OP
V

vfib

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for all the advice. I am gonna find a place to go and once I get one I am walking out.