guidance for a CA emt, please?

hoeyxd

Forum Probie
sorry if there's a thread about this, i spent a good 10 minutes putting in a search for this topic and came up empty. this might pertain to just california or los angeles county ems based workers, but i would like input from non california providers as i've seen many of you seem to be very familiar with how ems is run in LA county.

i'm about to have to recertify for the first time in a couple months, it took a good month for me to get my first ift gig and recently got a pretty sweet tech position. so i've been employed for a good 20 months and i've learned alot about myself as a provider and a person, i've found i really have my heart set on working in this field for as far as i can see but i've also come to find i have no desire to work in the fire service, which is put out to be the only way to live comfortably as a medic. i have no desire to be in the competitive type A frat house environment (as an LAFD medic described it to me the other day in the er), even less of a desire to carry a 60 pound hose up 20 flights of stairs with turnouts and an scba. i've done a few ride alongs with my local fd, talked to too many fire fighters about the service and i really just think it's not for me. nothing against fire fighters or the service, but i can honestly say it's not my cup o tea.

i've been told by single function medics that their job is a joke, i really don't mind IFT's, i'd love to do 911 as a medic after school but i feel like there's a legitimate reason for dialysis and other misc ift transports (most).. i keep being told i'm not going to like the work, but then again i was told if you're not working 911 you're going to hate your life in LA county, but i really love just being there for people, whether it be getting a juice box for my patient when i'm holding the wall for 5 hours or just extending my hand to the patient is getting tired of going through the torture of dialysis tx 3 times a week, i'm fine with constantly keeping my skills in check and not using my them as often as others. my only real deal, being i want a future in this is money. i'm not trying to become rich, but i know that atleast in la county getting your p card and not being attached to a fire department is pretty much financial hell for a 2 dollar raise from your emt job. i live on my own and work most of my life away, which im fine with for the time being, but i'd eventually want to overcome this stump and find a little bit of ease on the other side. i'm willing to leave california after medic school, i just don't know if i'm going to find the same struggles everywhere else.

so could i get some input from out of cali medics? anyone else have this on their minds?

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
CCT-RN

Then you get the pay and the IFT :). You could travel or even do flight. Sounds like nursing would be a good fit for you.

OP
OP
H

hoeyxd

Forum Probie
CCT-RN

Then you get the pay and the IFT :). You could travel or even do flight. Sounds like nursing would be a good fit for you.

i've thought of that too, i dont think i'd mind the work. but i work 6 days a week just to make ends meet, i can't even finish my GE's, dunno how i would ever get my as or bsn.. medic seems ideal because i can just save up a sh*t ton of money and get it in one 8 month swoop

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Better to go Nursing now rather than decide to do it later.

A nurse can challenge the CA Paramedic license as well. You still have to do an internship but you don't have to go to medic school.

So my advice to you would be to find a way, through online classes or night classes, to make Nursing school work. Better to do that than to go to Medic school, work as a medic for awhile, realize the money will never be as good as nursing, and then go to Nursing school.

That or drop down to part time and use financial aid to go to school.

Move out of LA County. Find a county in California where ALS is handled by private ambulances and BLS is handled by the fire department. I know of several counties that use this service model.

Come on down to San Bernardino and Riverside County, it's worth it!

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Get out of LA county. I did and it was the best move I have ever made. Riverside, San Bernardino, Kern, Tulare, Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo counties all have 911 paramedics that are not firefighters. Some counties like Kern and Tulare have many BLS fire departments so you are the only ALS on scene. The scope of practice is larger. The cost of living is less. You get amazing experience. I work at first in 911 ALS agencies in both Kern and Tulare County and love it. If EMS is your passion and you want to be a paramedic without being a firefighter, then I would make the move to one of those counties.

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
Stick with it and get your Paramedic license. Critical Care Paramedic was just introduced this year in California. It will take a few years to become utilized and will eliminate the RT from the basic vent calls. Community Paramedic is on the horizon. If you don't know what it is, look at Reno EMS Authority or MedStar in Texas. My prediction, Community Paramedic in 5. EMS has a great future ahead, and the fire service can squirt water.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Stick with it and get your Paramedic license. Critical Care Paramedic was just introduced this year in California. It will take a few years to become utilized and will eliminate the RT from the basic vent calls. Community Paramedic is on the horizon. If you don't know what it is, look at Reno EMS Authority or MedStar in Texas. My prediction, Community Paramedic in 5. EMS has a great future ahead, and the fire service can squirt water.

I've know people who have been CCT-P for at least 5 years in CA. Bay Area mostly. Probably longer. That's just when I started working on a rig.