Greetings, Looking for Some Dirrection

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
:blush: Greeting one and all. I've browsed these forums before but never joined up because I have had bad experiences on non-EMS related forums before... No one understands my "twisted" EMS perspective! I've joined up with something of an ulterior motive. I need some help from fellow EMS folks... But first a little about myself, because I refuse to use you for information and leave (I'll be around for a while and offer my thoughts from time to time):

I am in my late 20’s and live in Tuolumne County, California. If you don’t know where that is, find a map and locate Yosemite National Park. Hald of Yosemite is located in my larger county, and I live about 20 miles north of the Yosemite boarder (as the crow flies). My county is very wilderness in nature. We have a population of 60,000 that pretty much only inhabit a 5th of the county. The rest is forest, foothills, mountains, glaciers, and wild rivers extending from about 500 feet in elevation to 14,000 ft.

I have been involved in the medical field since High School, when I volunteered at a local Veterinary Hospital. By the time I graduated and moved I was working there 20 hours a week assisting the veterinarian in everything from exams and treatments to surgery and radiographs. I have spent 6 of the last 12 years as a Veterinary Technician in both Large and Small Animal Medicine. Currently I am the Senior Technician at a fledgling Veterinary Hospital… but that is beside the point.

When I got out of High School I was thinking about going to Vet School, but an Paramedic Program offered through the local college caught my eye. I never went paramedic, but got my certification as an EMT-B as well as various other Emergency Services certifications in Rope Rescue, Swiftwater Rescue, and the like. I have 6 years experience over the last 8 years as an EMT on Ambulance (1 year), and EMT Patroller at a Snow Park (6 seasons) , an EMT/On-Site Medic at a Youth Correctional Facility (<1 year), and as a volunteer rescuer for my counties SAR Team (3 years). Currently I am finishing up another season as the Chief Park Safety Officer / EMT Supervisor at the afore mentioned Snow Park and am the Medical Team Leader for my SAR Team that also works in Rope Rescue, Swiftwater Rescue, and am training a Bloodhound in Trailing.

I was elected Medical Team Leader by default; simply no one else had the time. While, academically speaking, I have every aspect of being an EMT down pat and have no issues with leading or talking charge of a Medical Emergency, my duties also involve organizing trainings and such… something I would like to do 120%, but can’t seem to find innovated and interesting ways to educate (especially newer team members). So, does anyone have any thoughts on…

1. What resources are available online or within Northern California to use to teach emergency medicine?

2. What resources are available that I could personally use to instruct the team in the practical aspects of emergency services that we often encounter running SAR in the environment mentioned before.

These are things that I teach on the fly as an EMT Supervisor at a Snow Park and could use some help if any thoughts are out there. Thanx for any help. I look forward to any thoughts and conversing on other topics latter.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
1. What resources are available online or within Northern California to use to teach emergency medicine?

2. What resources are available that I could personally use to instruct the team in the practical aspects of emergency services that we often encounter running SAR in the environment mentioned before.

Welcome aboard.

Have you tried searching the web for ski patrol related scenarios? Sometimes patrols will post scenarios on their website for use by other instructors.

You might also find SAR related scenarios with the patrol's Mountain Travel & Rescue and Avalanche sections.

If you are looking for something specific, PM me and I might be able to help.