Got my very first patient

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
2 days after I got my NREMT licence. It wasn't supposed to be my son though!!! He face planted on fresh asphalt riding his scooter and gashed his head open. Tried to control the bleeding for 15-20 minutes and he bled through 2 bandaids and 2 occlusive 2x3s. My boys and I were visiting my brother in law "camping." So I ended up taking him home after taping a third 2x3 to his head. Was still bleeding (we're going on 30-40 mns now of bleeding, thank the Lord it wasnt a HUGE cut. So hubby went to his clinic and got some skin glue while I continued direct pressure and a cold compress to help the swelling... holy cow! I have to restock my kit now with bandages!! My husband asked me "What would you do, EMT?" and I said I'd hold a bulky bandage to his head until we got to the hospital and hand him off! Hard to do when you're driving 25 minutes home. I taped that "SOB" like no one's business. I guess that was a good starter, eh? Ended up checking most of his vitals. too. BUT- I did not freak out. I may have said a curse word when I saw him go head-first, but that was it. "Just get 'er done"