Got a chance at medic class...

mct601

RN/NRP
I've been a NREMT-B since March, did medical stand bys for BP from May to July, and have been a 911 emt since July. The local CC said I can still apply and get into their program for January. What are your thoughts on a fresh EMT going into medic so soon? The idea makes me nervous but I really do want to do it. I have yet to even work a cardiac arrest (I think I'm the only one at the company who can say that lol).

Please don't flame, I'm looking for help.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't see the point of an EMT being forced to stay an EMT before going to medic school. I recommend all new EMTs that I know go straight to medic school as soon as possible. Go for it :)

OP
OP
mct601

mct601

RN/NRP
Also, I'm a college student with alg, bio, etc. Only class I haven't taken is A&P.

Thanks for the feedback thus far

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I don't see the point of an EMT being forced to stay an EMT before going to medic school. I recommend all new EMTs that I know go straight to medic school as soon as possible. Go for it :)

^
Exactly what he said.

We need a sticky on this.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Also, I'm a college student with alg, bio, etc. Only class I haven't taken is A&P.

Thanks for the feedback thus far

I'd say get A&P 1 and 2 (with labs) as soon as you can. They will be a great help in your education as a medic, plus if you decide to move on to a healthcare profession they can help you out immensely.

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I've been a NREMT-B since March, did medical stand bys for BP from May to July, and have been a 911 emt since July. The local CC said I can still apply and get into their program for January. What are your thoughts on a fresh EMT going into medic so soon? The idea makes me nervous but I really do want to do it. I have yet to even work a cardiac arrest (I think I'm the only one at the company who can say that lol).

Please don't flame, I'm looking for help.

First of all, why care if they flame? 2nd, what you are planning on doing is also what I am going to do next year, and I'm 46 years old. I have 3 friends that just did it a couple of months ago.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I was a working EMT for less than 5 shifts before I signed up for Paramedic school...

I turned out somewhat normal-ish.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
Actually this site is the only place I ever here someone saying "go for it."

Like we need more medics that treat numbers with acronyms...

I would suggest getting some experience.

But im sure ill be the one to get flamed ;)

OP
OP
mct601

mct601

RN/NRP
I'd say get A&P 1 and 2 (with labs) as soon as you can. They will be a great help in your education as a medic, plus if you decide to move on to a healthcare profession they can help you out immensely.

Originally, I planned on getting my BSN and possibly CRNA. But I'm early enough in the game in my college classes that, instead, I think I'm going to go for biochemistry at USM and apply for med schools. I love medicine and I don't want to hit a ceiling. We'll see. My rationale behind medic school is that I can LEARN, which I love to do, and once I'm done I can transfer off to USM and be autonomous from my parents, which I currently am not.

First of all, why care if they flame? 2nd, what you are planning on doing is also what I am going to do next year, and I'm 46 years old. I have 3 friends that just did it a couple of months ago.

Flaming leads to an argument in the thread, and nothing is accomplished at that point. I've been tinkering on message boards since I was 12, and I'm almost 21 now. I just would rather real discussion, instead of heated insults of knowledge.

I was a working EMT for less than 5 shifts before I signed up for Paramedic school...

I turned out somewhat normal-ish.

Don't lie to yourself, nothing is normal about you :p

jk, but thanks. you seem knowledgeable and you seem to be doing well.

I'm leaning towards doing it, but very hesitantly. It would most definitely be in my favor to wait- but EMS is not my career. If I wait any longer towards the end of my bachelor degree, I might as well not even do it (or it seems so). working as a medic is something i'd like to learn from and experience. I know that statement alone will get people to saying "well don't even do it", but I want to. and things change, today I plan on getting a bachelors... in one year something tragic could happen and I could be hindered from doing such.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

I actually find that a lot of the older medics tend to use a cookbook approach, while the newer ones (at least the newer medics I know, even those with zero street experience before they started working as a medic on internships) tend to treat based on evidence based medicines and critical thinking skills. That's my views from working in, now, 3 different areas, including 2 major metro areas.