Good classes for EMT-B

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,

Just a quick question for those experienced providers out there. Just recieved my EMT-B cert this past year. Always wanting to learn new stuff, increase my knowlege, etc. Especially in the EMS field. Definitely making EMS/Fire Rescue career. Wondering what would be some good classes for me to take since i'm not "experienced?" I'm in Fire Academy right now for 6 months to get my FFI, FFII, and HazMat Ops certs, which is a good amount of work, so i'm looking for classes that can fit around that. You know...not like some month long or more course, if ya know what I mean. :] Also, my county is offering an ITLS class coming up. Would that be a good one for me? And multiple PALS courses, ACLS, ALS classes. Would any of these be good for me to take? I mean, alot/some of the stuff is obviously going to be over my head since i'm BLS, but how does one ever advance in knowledge without challenging themselves? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello all,

Just a quick question for those experienced providers out there. Just recieved my EMT-B cert this past year. Always wanting to learn new stuff, increase my knowlege, etc. Especially in the EMS field. Definitely making EMS/Fire Rescue career. Wondering what would be some good classes for me to take since i'm not "experienced?" I'm in Fire Academy right now for 6 months to get my FFI, FFII, and HazMat Ops certs, which is a good amount of work, so i'm looking for classes that can fit around that. You know...not like some month long or more course, if ya know what I mean. :] Also, my county is offering an ITLS class coming up. Would that be a good one for me? And multiple PALS courses, ACLS, ALS classes. Would any of these be good for me to take? I mean, alot/some of the stuff is obviously going to be over my head since i'm BLS, but how does one ever advance in knowledge without challenging themselves? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Check out this thread:-

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=26014

* Anything you can get for free, but most of the alphabet courses aren't worth paying for as an EMT-B (my opinion), borrow the books, read the texts.

* Maybe, you should be carrying a ITLS-Basic cert. or PHTLS, if you're not already.

* There is so much information in the public domain. Read a good physiology book, teach yourself ECG interpretation etc.

* If you can make it work, go to medic school.

All the best.

OP
OP
E

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
Check out this thread:-

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=26014

* Anything you can get for free, but most of the alphabet courses aren't worth paying for as an EMT-B (my opinion), borrow the books, read the texts.

* Maybe, you should be carrying a ITLS-Basic cert. or PHTLS, if you're not already.

* There is so much information in the public domain. Read a good physiology book, teach yourself ECG interpretation etc.

* If you can make it work, go to medic school.

All the best.

Thanks! And yes...ALL the classes offered by the county are free to EMS/Fire county members. I do NOT have a ITLS or PHTLS cert....was never notified I should have one. Only certs I have are EMT-B, CPR healthcare provider, and HIPPA. And the required NIMS, ICS etc. Thanks again!

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks! And yes...ALL the classes offered by the county are free to EMS/Fire county members. I do NOT have a ITLS or PHTLS cert....was never notified I should have one.

You probably aren't required to have one in your region. Where I worked, EMTs had to have a valid ITLS for registration each year.

It's not the best course, but it's sort of the EMT equivalent of ACLS. The content might not be that meaningful, the course might not be delivered that well. But it feels like a professional obligation to take it every couple of years.

Only certs I have are EMT-B, CPR healthcare provider, and HIPPA. And the required NIMS, ICS etc. Thanks again!

Hey, if you can get more training for free, go do it. Just take a read of the thread that's linked in the previous post and consider the limitations of the various courses that are offered.