Going Forward with License and Other Stuff

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
I am now officially an EMT! I mailed in my state license application 4 days ago to the state of Minnesota, but I am not sure how long it will take. How long does it usually take for them to get back to me with my license? I met with a nearby EMS agency a day after hearing from the NREMT, and they said they would take me on as an EMT as soon as my license comes... so you can imagine I am relatively eager for Minnesota to get back to me.

The other thing I was wondering was should I go ahead and buy my own stethoscope, penlight, trauma shears, etc.? I imagine I would be responsible for that stuff given it is primarily a volunteer position.

I am so excited to begin my EMS career, but I am not going to act like that around medics... because a lot of them seem really defeated and annoyed by the young and enthusiastic. I will admit I am scared I will turn into a burn-out medic. How can I keep my excitement from dying? And why do so many in EMS get so bitter and burned out?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I am now officially an EMT! I mailed in my state license application 4 days ago to the state of Minnesota, but I am not sure how long it will take. How long does it usually take for them to get back to me with my license? I met with a nearby EMS agency a day after hearing from the NREMT, and they said they would take me on as an EMT as soon as my license comes... so you can imagine I am relatively eager for Minnesota to get back to me.

The other thing I was wondering was should I go ahead and buy my own stethoscope, penlight, trauma shears, etc.? I imagine I would be responsible for that stuff given it is primarily a volunteer position.

I am so excited to begin my EMS career, but I am not going to act like that around medics... because a lot of them seem really defeated and annoyed by the young and enthusiastic. I will admit I am scared I will turn into a burn-out medic. How can I keep my excitement from dying? And why do so many in EMS get so bitter and burned out?
First of all, congratulations. Now to the rest, peruse these threads for questions regarding what to bring, and why we're all a "bunch of jerks"...

http://emtlife.com/threads/new-basic-what-should-i-bring-with-me.44511/

http://emtlife.com/threads/why-are-most-in-ems-such-jerks.44756/

Sorry I can't help about the Minnesota part but I prefer the term "seasoned" as opposed to burnt out:). In short, you're 18 you have a whole life ahead of you. Enthusiasm wanes with anything over time, it isn't always a bad thing (I equate this to when I was a kid, got a toy, within a week was bored; there were always more toys down the road to be had).

Good luck on the job, and in life. Perhaps get back to us in a few years on the job to fill us in on your perspective, whatever it may be, enjoy.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
Minnesota usually has a short turn around time. Just wondering what part of the state you will be working in?

OP
OP
MarilynEagle

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
First of all, congratulations. Now to the rest, peruse these threads for questions regarding what to bring, and why we're all a "bunch of jerks"...

http://emtlife.com/threads/new-basic-what-should-i-bring-with-me.44511/

http://emtlife.com/threads/why-are-most-in-ems-such-jerks.44756/

Sorry I can't help about the Minnesota part but I prefer the term "seasoned" as opposed to burnt out:). In short, you're 18 you have a whole life ahead of you. Enthusiasm wanes with anything over time, it isn't always a bad thing (I equate this to when I was a kid, got a toy, within a week was bored; there were always more toys down the road to be had).

Good luck on the job, and in life. Perhaps get back to us in a few years on the job to fill us in on your perspective, whatever it may be, enjoy.
Thank you! I definitely don't want to make it sound like every single person in EMS is that way. For every "seasoned" person in EMS, there usually is another who is helpful and friendly.

On the other thread, the only consistent thing people mentioned was a glove pouch, because it is really helpful, especially for MCIs. Would galls be a good place to order that kind of stuff?

I will let you know how "seasoned" I have become in a few years as well lol.

OP
OP
MarilynEagle

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
Minnesota usually has a short turn around time. Just wondering what part of the state you will be working in?

Yay! I am checking my email constantly during the week to see if they sent it yet. I will be working in Barnesville MN, covering the town and 400+ square miles. They average just under a call a day. How about you?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thank you! I definitely don't want to make it sound like every single person in EMS is that way. For every "seasoned" person in EMS, there usually is another who is helpful and friendly.

On the other thread, the only consistent thing people mentioned was a glove pouch, because it is really helpful, especially for MCIs. Would galls be a good place to order that kind of stuff?
I think you missed my point, but that's ok. A career is a lifetimes worth of work, so just keep that in mind. After a while anything loses its appeal, especially a new job, otherwise it wouldn't be a job.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy what I do, I very much do, but several years later it is more work than anything else, so when working with a new, young, and overzealous person such as yourself while juggling everyday life (a wife, two kids, mortgage, retirement, etc.) bear with people such as myself if their minds aren't exactly focused on saving the next victim from the "clutches of death". I'm not harping on you, I can respect and recall your enthusiasm as I once too felt the same way. I have just, for lack of a better word, matured.

Also, be you, op! Don't act a certain way around salty grumps because you don't want to be chastised. You do you, bud, plain and simple; figure out the rest later. For now just enjoy the job, enjoy being a tech (I had a blast being a basic), and yes, Galls ain't bad:).

-@VentMonkey

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
Yay! I am checking my email constantly during the week to see if they sent it yet. I will be working in Barnesville MN, covering the town and 400+ square miles. They average just under a call a day. How about you?

I work for Allina Health in the Minneapolis area. I am surprised that Barnesville EMS provides Advanced Life Support. I agree with VentMonkey, just be yourself.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Congrats on passing. Yes, buy all of the things that you mentioned. Also my employer doesn't provide those so I had to out of necessity anyway. And you already have a glove pouch. Your pants. Really you have like 8 on the pants we wear.

And don't worry about being excited. I finally get to start working as a medic soon and you can bet your *** I am excited. Nothing wrong with being motivated. Just don't be THIS motivated.
giphy.gif