Getting in touch w/ EMTs in San Francisco

random_thought

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and currently exploring the idea of switching careers to EMS.

I've done quite a bit of research on the internet, but was hoping to get in touch with some EMTs currently working in the field. Basically, I am trying to decide if this is the right career and if I have the "right traits" to do well. I was hoping someone would be willing to have a conversation with me and shed some light on their experience, while also helping me think about some of the hard questions I should be asking myself.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
R

random_thought

Forum Ride Along
As an afterthought, residing in San Francisco is not crucial. I am just looking to have a conversation with someone who is currently working in the field and who can help me assess if I am a right fit. Is there anyone who'd be willing to exchange a couple of notes via e-mail?

OP
OP
R

random_thought

Forum Ride Along
Hmm .. still no responses. Am I going about this the wrong way? Any suggestions regarding a different approach? Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
If you can put together a few specific questions I'm sure we could answer whatever you may come up with. Sometimes just a good opening question can launch an informative thread for others that may be lurking waiting to jump into the pool with advice you could use. You might get real lucky and spark off one of the infamous EMT life threads that the mods have to lock down for the sake of our feelings, you never know.

OP
OP
R

random_thought

Forum Ride Along
Good advice. here goes...

- What attracted you to a career in EMS? I would appreciate all perspectives, but very interested in people who did not take the traditional path. I have a heavy finance background and trying to understand the feasibility of a career switch.

- Will a finance background prevent people from taking me seriously? I am considering EMS because I am at a point where I want to make a tangible impact through my work on a daily basis. Currently, my work products are buried within hundreds of pages of financial statements and boring technical jargon. As such, it is difficult to feel like I am positively contributing to society.

- What "hard questions" should I be asking myself in deciding if this career is the right fit for me (e.g., can I handle working 24hr shifts and half eaten meals? Can I commit to a career that requires constant study and improvement?). My gut tells me that I can do well, but any and all insights are much appreciated.

- What is the job market like these days? Can I realistically get hired in the Bay Area with no experience (after passing NREMT and getting ambulance driver license)? Based on what I've read in this forum and my visits to some of the ambulance company websites, seems like the job market is pretty thin.

- What is the typical interview process like? Is it a formal oral board or a one-on-one w/ individuals from the Company?

- Does it matter where you receive training? Are some schools better than others?

- What do you wish you had known when starting out on this career path? What would you do differently if you were to do it all over?

I am open to all suggestions / criticisms, so please feel free to add any valuable comments, questions, or suggestions as you see fit. Thanks in advance.

JB42

Forum Crew Member

- What attracted you to a career in EMS? I would appreciate all perspectives, but very interested in people who did not take the traditional path. I have a heavy finance background and trying to understand the feasibility of a career switch.
http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=14405

- Will a finance background prevent people from taking me seriously? I am considering EMS because I am at a point where I want to make a tangible impact through my work on a daily basis. Currently, my work products are buried within hundreds of pages of financial statements and boring technical jargon. As such, it is difficult to feel like I am positively contributing to society.
Many EMS providers come from backgrounds that differ greatly from EMS or medicine. That shouldn't be an issue.

- What "hard questions" should I be asking myself in deciding if this career is the right fit for me (e.g., can I handle working 24hr shifts and half eaten meals? Can I commit to a career that requires constant study and improvement?). My gut tells me that I can do well, but any and all insights are much appreciated.
Those are certainly important questions, also sleepless nights, type A personalities, how will you be to the lonely old lady who called at 0230 because her kids forgot to call her tonight, do you understand that not all calls are true emergencies? Others here would have many more questions.

- What is the job market like these days? Can I realistically get hired in the Bay Area with no experience (after passing NREMT and getting ambulance driver license)? Based on what I've read in this forum and my visits to some of the ambulance company websites, seems like the job market is pretty thin.
Basics are a dime a dozen. Good luck.

- What is the typical interview process like? Is it a formal oral board or a one-on-one w/ individuals from the Company?
Varies from company to company.

- Does it matter where you receive training? Are some schools better than others?
Yes, some schools are better than others, I can't answer which though as I don't know.

- What do you wish you had known when starting out on this career path? What would you do differently if you were to do it all over?
It isn't a career for me now. If I did it all over I would have started into EMS out of high school and made it my career though.

Hope some of that helps.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
IMO, EMT-B is a stepping stone, not so much of a career in itself. The pay isn't enough to really survive on, especially in the Bay Area. But it is a great way to get into EMS, and then keep working toward Paramedic or PA or RN, etc. It's also a great way to find out if you enjoy the EMS field.

But even before heading off to EMT school, it's best (again IMO) to find out if EMS is something that you enjoy. The long shifts and other things are considerations, but I find the central point to be whether you enjoy patient contacts or not.

If you don't especially enjoy patient contacts, then EMS probably will not be a fun or rewarding career for you. If you do enjoy patient contacts, then the other stuff is manageable (and challenging and fun!).

Do you have any volunteer opportunites available where you can get exposed to EMS? Are you current in your CPR/First Aid certs? Have you looked into your city's CERT program (community emergency response team -- it may be called something different in your city, just look on your Fire Department's website under disaster preparedness)? Some of the CERT drills use very realistically moulaged victims, and you can start to see how you feel working on a bloody mess of a person.

So if you can get some initial exposure to EMS environments, and you find that you do enjoy working with patients (even the ones who are being a pain in the rear), then I think that getting your EMT-B certification is a good start and stepping stone to other fields within EMS and the medical field in general.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant

I've wanted to go into healthcare since high school. First I wanted to be a pharmacist, then a doctor, and then a nurse (after volunteering at a nurse's station for the summer). I was gung-ho for becoming an RN, but as I applied to get into college, the more unfeasible it looked. And, the more I looked at emergency medicine, the more attractive it became. The show "Paramedics" and my experience of having my wife be a patient of EMS is what tipped the balance. I took a significant pay cut compared to nursing, and my parents were not pleased, but I love my job. I have a direct impact on people's lives every day.

You wouldn't believe the backgrounds people come from. In my EMT-B class there was a 40ish male who made 60k a year being an accountant, and he gave it all up.

When you get involved with this field, it will be tempting to think that your career in finance was wasted. This isn't a fun feeling, and it's not true. You made a positive impact on society by your work, but if you feel that now is the time to make a more direct impact, then it's time. Don't wake up miserable when the alarm goes off in the morning.

Can you handle the irregular hours? Will these hours affect any relationships with people close to you? Can you keep a clear head under intense pressure? Can you put everything you have into getting it right the first time?

Not sure about the Bay Area, but generally the job market is indeed thin. But careers in healthcare are skyrocketing in terms of demand, and a lot of the guys that get hired for EMS tend to be... not so good, especially the basics.

Work per diem, show a visible passion for your job, strive to impress (while being modest, of course!), and keep an eye out for any openings. You will be fine.

Depends. I was in a one-on-one situation. Let me give you some advice:

- Wear a suit. These interviewers see guys wearing all sorts of casual crap to these interviews, and the guys in the suits have the highest chance of being hired.

- Have your thoughts organized. What inspired you? What do you love about this job? I think your story of switching from a completely different background, and probably making more money, can make for an inspiring narrative for an interview.

Some schools are better than others, but I'm not sure how picky companies are.

I wish I had known how awesome it is. The feeling of waking up every morning and going to my dream job is making my wife a little jealous. :p

Despite the irregular hours, high-stress, and unfinished coffees, it's all worth it.