Galveston Area Ambulance Authority? Input?

PlayingInTheChaos

Forum Ride Along
Hello All,
Currently seeking info on the system in general from a paramedic perspective for potential employment. I saw the system recently converted to 12 hour shifts, correct? Is it a system that utilizes ems stations or a system status type that utilizes posts? What is the call volume in a typical day? As a medic coming in with 911 experience, would I be on an ambulance running 911 only or do they do/would I be stuck also doing interfacility transports (nothing wrong with interfacility, just not my thing). Thoughts or opinions on the system in general or anything I’ve missed? Does anyone happen to know what the current pay for a medic w/ experience is looking like there?
Thanks for the input guys and gals!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Galveston runs 24s out of stations, is busy, gritty and underpaid and kind of sucks.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Avoid GAAA like the plague. Currently understaffed, all vacation requests have been suspended. Mandatory 1-2 unpaid on call days a month, with an almost guarantee you'll be called in to work (you get OT if you get called in, but nothing otherwise). Right now running 2x fixed 24s a week, so 48 hours a pay period w/ OT after 40. Pay for medics is 18 for attendant, and 20 for in-charge. No pay for experience. Equpment isn't bad, runs out of stations in the county and on the island. Island units are horribly busy this time of year, compounded by shortage of crews.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Oh, and as a medic you'd be on a 911 truck. The only time a medic rides transfers is for an ALS split, where they take the attendant paramedic off a 911 truck and splits a NET truck so that they can take an ALS transfer somewhere (usually to a vent farm or LTAC)