gaining experience as an EMT

Weezy

Forum Probie
Hi I'm a new EMT grad (June this year)in the southern Alberta area and I've been working in the oilfield since graduation. I don't mind it but find it very unnerving that I am the medical person in charge of all these workers with no hands on experience. I've tried to get on with private services and no luck. Any idea where I could even volunteer in order to keep my skills fresh and get some on car experience?

martor

Forum Crew Member
Hi I'm a new EMT grad (June this year)in the southern Alberta area and I've been working in the oilfield since graduation. I don't mind it but find it very unnerving that I am the medical person in charge of all these workers with no hands on experience. I've tried to get on with private services and no luck. Any idea where I could even volunteer in order to keep my skills fresh and get some on car experience?

Ask a local Fire station. They usually welcome ride alongs. I have done it to keep my trauma skills fresh. I would suggest calling the station beforehand and not just showing up at the station asking for ride along hours.

Refino827

Forum Probie
If there's any ambulance services in the area, try doing ride alongs. Do some volunteer work at a local hospital, or like the above poster said if there's a Fire Dept. close by try doing some ride alongs over there. Ask questions and get involved as much as they'll allow. I've learned a ton by riding along with my former CNM teacher at the service he works for.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Have you had any luck with AHS? I heard they have a hiring freeze.
If you local FD does medical calls try to ride with them or try to get into an er.

It can be discouraging putting all the time and effort into getting your licence and not find a job...It can be tough being new with little experience. At least working industrial you are doing something.

Last edited by a moderator: