Future Paramedic Student Advice

neoclassicaljazz

Forum Crew Member
Hello, I have been accepted into a university paramedic program and am just hoping to get some feedback and advice. I am 22 and a fairly new EMT-B (as of May, 2013), do not have the most experience by any means but I really want to further my education and be able to do more in the field.

These classes will start in August or September so I would like to get a head start and be as prepared as I possibly can be! The program is for an associates degree in Emergency Medical Services Technology. It is two years in length and I will be able to obtain paramedic and fire certifications.

Has anyone completed a paramedic course through a university? My hope is that I will be able to learn more through a university program, taking college classes as opposed to a vocational school where, from what I can tell, they just want to get you in and out as quickly as possible. Do you think it would be worth it to spend the extra time and money through a university?

What should I do to prepare for a paramedic program? Ideally, I would like to learn as much as I can before the program starts so that I can go through the classes a bit easier and understand the content better. I learn a lot from reading the forums on here and refer back to my textbook a good bit to pick up things that may slip my mind. Are there any good books or sites, or any other resources that you could recommend me?

Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated! I am also interested in what every one else's courses were like and what helped you through and what maybe held you back. Thanks a lot guys.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Take courses in chemistry, biology, anatomy, physiology, medical terminology and pharmacology. Take a paramedic prep course if one is available near you.

You can still do fine even if you don't take these as long as you study hard. Remember to study hard in paramedic, not because it's a hard class, but because people's lives are on the line and they depend on you and they deserve your best.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Do I think a Associates from a college is going to be more beneficial?

Yes. a thousand times yes.

A lot of the Vocational schools we speak of here are certification programs you sit through the minimum required education to become a paramedic and sit in on the state or National Registry Exam.

Take a look at your Associates degree curriculum, A&P I and II Bio, Chem college level math, Med Term, Pharmacology, is hopefully part of the degree. These courses not only help you understand whats going on as a paramedic but also what is going to make you a better paramedic.

as far as right now focus on the basics making sure that your EMT-Basic skills are pretty solid as a EMT basic with a solid foundation only makes a better paramedic, From there there is tons of paramedic prep courses out there maybe even some online.

OP
OP
neoclassicaljazz

neoclassicaljazz

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I will have to look into a paramedic prep course. I have an A&P book that was used in a nursing class that I have started looking into. I am also trying to get a medical terminology book. Any tips on how to study up on this stuff? I'd really like to know all of the material as opposed to just memorizing it all. Thanks again!