Future EMT Intro!

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone! My name is Mike and I am from the Gulf Coast of Texas. I am currently a Petrochemical Process Operation major and taking EMT-B this summer. I am also forklift licensed, boat and hunting safety certified, Adult CPR/First-aid/AED (Red Cross) certified, First-line leadership certified and I hold an AAS in Computer Network Engineering.

I plan to take the EMT-B course over the summer and get certified and work for a large name ambulance company in the Gulf Coast Region during the fall semester while I finish my PTEC degree.

I am currently 25 years old and as of October 1st 2013 I had a Gastric Bypass and have lost 130 pounds. However the director of the program met with me and told me my weight should not be an issue for the class for for clinicals in terms of being effective at my job as an EMT.

In preparation for the EMT class this summer I have purchased all the materials required plus a few small extra things like a field guide, patient care notebook. I am very excited about this program.

The reason I want to take the EMT class is to have EMT as a back-up if anything happens with my PTEC job prospects and to join the ERT (Emergency Response Team) at the refinery.

I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone had any words of wisdom they wanted to share with me. I am going to be looking around the forums and posting through the summer semester to learn more.

One question I have right off the bat, how do you re-certify in Texas? If I am working as a Process Operator but part of my job scope is to be an EMT while I am on shift incase anything happens does that count as working in the field making me eligible to re-certify? Or do I have to be specifically in the employ of an ambulance company or hospital?

Thank you in advance!

(I posted this in the wrong forum earlier)