Frozen NACL

40YrRt

Forum Ride Along
Have any of you ER & ICU pros frozen your the contents of your NACL bullets? 28 degrees Fahrenheit is the magic #. Mix the bronchodilator with the NACL Ice and nebulize in a 1 hour neb. For croup, it’s instant, for COVID, fast relief of SOB and ^SPO2. Doesn’t need to go an hour. 30 minutes does the job. Patients usually discharged the same day. Wish I had the stats to post.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
New one on me. I'd suspect the NS would be a slurry and not mix well with the actual drug. Kind of defeating the purpose of using the NS in the first place if I'm reading you correctly. If you are seeing an effect, it may just be that a higher concentration of the drug is being delivered because it isn't well diluted in the first place.

OP
OP

40YrRt

Forum Ride Along
The ice melts quickly, but the first few inhalations are delivering a concentrated medication dose. The cooled bronchodilator reduces airway inflammation and is a more pleasant experience for a patient that is SOB, as their relief is felt in seconds.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Kind of funny since they say not to let it get colder than 45 deg. F or throw it out:
I had to check on all of our medications because we didn't have an ambulance garage and that was how we were able to get a heated/AC garage built is to keep medications healthy