Fresno and Kern County

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
Hello guys, looking to the future, I am looking for a service that is not fire, but also very high quality. I have heard good things about both American Ambulance and Hall. My ride along with American had some... Interesting calls. Does anyone know the culture of Hall and/or American? I am looking for a service to work for long term, and both of these were recommended.

Also, how is life in Fresno and Bakersfield?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Well Hall is definitely a career place to be at. That is all they want actually and pride themselves in having a very low turnover rate. 56%over 5yr mark. They Offer to pay for your medic school and keep your pay/benifits while attending school. Equipment and stations are the best I have ever seen. Look up hall ambulance grand opening of rosemond station on YouTube. That is a ambulance only station not fire station. Protocols in Kern county are among the best in California. Pay is the same as anywhere. EMTs start 28k and 38k for medic. Lots of OT.

What's the hourly starting rate for medics at Hall?

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I have lots of friends (including my roommate) who work for Hall. It is definitely a career oriented organization. They have some of the best equipment you will find in a private company.

American of Fresno is also a career oriented organization. It is really large and runs lots of units. They are pretty strict from what I have heard from medics working for them

As for how the cities are, I do not know much about Fresno, but from the time I have spent there, I am not a fan of it.

I live in Bakersfield. The town is not bad. It's not a trendy large city like LA/Bay Area, but it is still nice. There are some very nice neighborhoods that are affordable. They have a mall, the same chain restaurants you will find anywhere. (BJs, Elephant Bar, California Pizza Kitchen, Olive Garden, Buffalo Wild Wings, ect). As I said before, housing is affordable, there is almost no traffic. The people are nice. If you want to go to a gastropub then to the opera, then you might be disappointed.

If you are into outdoors activities we have a ton to offer. Hiking, fishing, hunting, white water rafting, rock climbing, OHV, camping ect. We have forests, lakes, deserts, mountains, ect. It is a more outdoor oriented, country type of environment. I grew up in LA and am actually happier out here than I was in LA.

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
I worked at Hall for 7 years. I worked my way from an EMT-Basic to Paramedic Field Supervisor in a few years. They paid for my paramedic school (and my wages while I was going). The only reason I left was to move to Texas. Great place to work. You can't beat it in California. Message me if you want more details.