"Freelancing" : get this through your heads. (Rant, right?)

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Hi,

I think I am the person you are referring to and to clarify, I'm new to this site and EMS didn't realize I was asking for legal advice when I wrote that post. I searched the site for a few minutes and then posted.

A moderator contacted me and informed me about the policy and some people sent me private messages with really helpful information. So in other words I believe the site worked exactly like it it's intended to and i'm thankful to everyone I interacted with.
!
I am still curious about what I will call the medical standby or first responder business for lack of better terms. There appear to be many private individuals and small organizations using their EMS experience and certifications to promote themselves as first responders for various types of events.

And judging by their websites there appears to be a low barrier of entry to this type of business or service.

Maybe distinguishing and separating freelancer from first responder from EMT, Medic and so on is where more clarity is. Maybe not, i don't know but I am going to do some more research on my own.
you call them what they are, EMTs lol.

OK in my town last weekend we had an event that had several thousand people attend. The event coordinator contacted my director requesting EMTs on site.
We then had a first aid type booth and 3 gators with stretchers and radios on us for communications .
We contacted the Iowa department of health and our medical director and was given written permission to hand out Tylenol if needed and we had band aids, sun block, water and a cooled rehabilitation trailer.

We were not freelancing since this was discussed through our director and she then asked us to sign up for it etc.