Formal Education: Degrees in Paramedical Science

disassociative

Forum Captain
I am aware of a few programs throughout the US offering Paramedic courses with an option for an Associates in Fire Science or allied health depending on the students liking, however--is anyone aware of any programs that are looking into Associates, Bachelor, or Masters in Paramedical Sciences?

I feel it would be quite interesting to see some of these programs implemented
by the US.

What do you think?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Almost all college level Paramedic programs are Associate in Applied Science, with a major in Paramedic or Emergency Medical Technology, etc.

These type of programs have been out for at least 30 years (I received mine 25 years ago). There are a few 4 year Baccalaureate Degree in Science with a major in EMS, or Paramedic. Usually, the last two years are focused into management, leadership, or education, etc. The same as graduate or Master Degree programs.

University of New Mexico has a 4 yr B.S. Paramedic, as well as Washington University, Maryland, and about 15 others, that I can not recall.

Some states are now requiring Paramedics to have at least an Associate Degree level, before issuing license or certification.

Personally, IMHO associate should be the minimal before allowed for placement on EMS units. First Responders, could be at any level.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A.S. in EMS in 1979 (Florida).

I am familiar with the B.S. in EMS at Loma Linda in California. It provides a strong foundation that can lead to future endeavors in the medical field. It is also a huge training center for many healthcare professions giving the opportunity to explore many different career paths.

http://www.llu.edu/llu/sahp/emc/programinfo.html

VinBin

Forum Captain
Some states are now requiring Paramedics to have at least an Associate Degree level, before issuing license or certification.

Very nice to hear that, a somewhat standardized requirement in terms of education is the first step to the advancement of EMS...

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
I am aware of a few programs throughout the US offering Paramedic courses with an option for an Associates in Fire Science or allied health depending on the students liking, however--is anyone aware of any programs that are looking into Associates, Bachelor, or Masters in Paramedical Sciences?

I feel it would be quite interesting to see some of these programs implemented
by the US.

What do you think?
roane state has an associates of health sciences in paramedic

www.rscc.cc.tn.us

medicprof

Forum Ride Along
You could contact the state EMS office where you live and they will have a list to give to you. I am so in favor of the AS degree as the minimum. This is a hot topic and we as a profession need to push for degrees.