Foreigner taking a CPR/EMT-B course?

emtnoob02

Forum Ride Along
Hello.

I'm an international student on a F-1 visa. I'm also a senior in high school.

I was wondering if I could take the CPR and EMT-B as a foreigner. Is this possible? I heard I have to volunteer to finish the course, which I would love to, but can I volunteer with a foreign citizenship? (I don't want a paid job)

Also, is CPR certification needed to take an EMT-B in New Jersey?

Thank you!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hello.

I was wondering if I could take the CPR and EMT-B as a foreigner. Is this possible? I heard I have to volunteer to finish the course, which I would love to, but can I volunteer with a foreign citizenship? (I don't want a paid job)

Thank you!

In general, it's not an issue at all for international students to take an EMT course. In order to obtain state certification, you may be asked for a social security number, but there is usually a workaround.
Whether it's incorporated in your class, or not, you should be able to volunteer or ride with a service, that shouldn't be an issue as well.
As was said above, the best resource to answer these questions is the state EMS office, or a local EMT course and their staff.

Good luck!

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
For NJ, you need to have healthcare provider CPR certification before starting the course. If you join a volunteer squad, they will cover the cost of your training through the state EMS training fund. However, most squads will want a 1-2 year commitment from you.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
An F1 will cover an EMT course. You may be able to work and or volunteer with it. Otherwise you will only be able to do the school required shifts. Lookin to opt ( optional paid training) or cpt ( curricular paid training) status on your F1. You may qualify.
I had an F1 when I went to university for nursing . I was able to do an EMT/EMT-I course and work as an EMT-I with cpt status on my F1. Once it ran out I was not even allowed to volunteer. The US government feels that you are paid in "experience" as a volunteer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emtnoob02

Forum Ride Along
@Medic Tim

Just one question. Does a biology major count as opt or cpt for EMT? I feel like the field is somewhat related to EMS, but at the same time, they're different.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
@Medic Tim

Just one question. Does a biology major count as opt or cpt for EMT? I feel like the field is somewhat related to EMS, but at the same time, they're different.

That is something to ask an immigration officer ( be careful and research on your own before taking the word of the officer, it has been my experience that a lot of the officers are not familiar with these types of things as they are so infrequently used) or your registrar.
I know of a few people who changed their minor to emergency management or something similar. They were taking some ba in arts /humanities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
Hello.

Thank you!

Don't know to much about visas, but one of the smartest people in my AEMT class was a guy from Haiti. Like I said I am not sure about his visa status, but if he could do it I am sure you can.