Ford vs GMC/CHEVY Rigs

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
My service is mostly fords, some of them have extended cabs so you can recline a good foot. 2 of them allow you to recline flat, there is so much room behind the seats someone could comfortably lay behind the seats. Of course I never get these trucks, I am always stuck with the normal fords that allow 2 inches to recline and my knees are in the dash...not too bad on a 12hr shift. I mean who wants to be comfortable sitting in a front seat all night. I will say they have taught me how creatively i can position myself to sleep. It usually includes one or both of my legs out the window dangling over the door and the mirror. I amaze myself quite often, of course the minute i actually fall asleep we get that 3am "I've been depressed for three days because i went off my psych meds call."

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Im lucky i ride in the boxes captains chair, and on night shifts i got a nice cozy bunk room! BTW why not sleep on the stretcher or rear bench both are extremely comfortable.

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
You do recall who and what we put on those things. As for being creative on sleeping positions in the front I have found a few that work until my limbs go numb from lack of blood flow.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Ill toss in my experience for the heck of it.

My service is primarily Chevy and has been since it was started decades ago. Our only Fords are wheelchair vans and units that came to us thru acquiring other services.

Our type 1 chevys have been decently reliable. All are Duramax/Allison 3500s. The only recurring problem has been the EGR cooler clogging up due to our extended idle times. Our sole '08 Ford 350 is having the same problem.

Our dozen or so 1-2 year old Sprinters have been good. Most of the issues have been due to crews being too hard on stuff and not taking care of it. Some fit/finish issues but no worse than the Chevys. The Sprinters are super comfortable and have better cabs than the Fords or Chevys.

Id like to see a return to gas engines on our big trucks. The new diesels are more costly to reper and not that urea injection is required the cost to operate is the same or more than a comparable gasser. The gasser is also much cheaper to fix and quieter.

Im hearing good things about the DRW Sprinter type 3s also. Given a choice now Id take a Sprinter type 3.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
We have medium duty IH 4300 rigs. We have had a lot of little nagging problems with them, but it's often just bad luck that actually takes them out of service - they are always getting hit. Our newer one got plowed into by a cop on new years eve and will be out for at least a month. Then again, I'm pretty sure his brand new Charger took the worst of it.

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
I do like the IH's:) But we dont have the room nor the need for such a big truck, as it is our trucks are perfectly set up no wasted space, Hoping to see the new chevy soon!

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I do like the IH's:) But we dont have the room nor the need for such a big truck, as it is our trucks are perfectly set up no wasted space, Hoping to see the new chevy soon!

Yeah they are huge beasts, but you'd be amazed how quickly you get used to the space - since one of our primary rigs is out getting repaired from the New Year's Eve wreck, we're running one of the county's older reserve units, and it was a pain to try to cram everything into it. Granted, our rigs are all outfitted ALS even though they're often only running BLS, but it should not be that hard to fit ALS gear into a medium duty box (or even type III).

My wife is the same way - she will somehow fill all the available space wherever she is living. Our first apartment (6 years ago) was probably less than a third the size of our house now, but we have so much stuff now it we would be hoarders if we went back. Our attic alone probably has more 'stuff' than would fit in our entire place right after college.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
One of my services runs 2 C4500 chassis. I love driving the trucks. They handle really well.

And I've driven pretty much every year of e350 ford since the 90's as a Type II and Type III. I miss my '99 Powerstroke Horton Type III. It was a awesome truck... Up until I took it off road and into a tree to avoid an accident (was declared his fault, too).

My volunteer service has a 05 and 06 Ford Type III. Both have had HUGE issues with EGR and other engine problems. Both have had their engines pretty much rebuilt at approx. 50K miles. We're going with a Dodge Type I for our next rig.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
One of my services runs 2 C4500 chassis. I love driving the trucks. They handle really well.

And I've driven pretty much every year of e350 ford since the 90's as a Type II and Type III. I miss my '99 Powerstroke Horton Type III. It was a awesome truck... Up until I took it off road and into a tree to avoid an accident (was declared his fault, too).

My volunteer service has a 05 and 06 Ford Type III. Both have had HUGE issues with EGR and other engine problems. Both have had their engines pretty much rebuilt at approx. 50K miles. We're going with a Dodge Type I for our next rig.

Jo who is going to be doing the box on your new dodge and what size chassis/engine are you going with?