Football

WVEmt

Forum Crew Member
I'm watching the Saints Bucs game and got to wondering about the hard hits that football players take, especially when the trainers get brought onto the field. In my experience, I've board and collared a pt for a lesser MOI. I've seen from my own experiences that full spinal precautions are over used, even with a "significant" MOI. I know with pee-wee and high school games caution is the utmost importance in regard to possible spinal injuries. The players are kids after all. Why doesn't the same hold true at the college and pro levels? Just got me wondering:huh:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
There are physicians on the sidelines of most NFL games, I believe the players union just approved neurologists also, I'm not sure if their on the sidelines yet but every team has an appointed one. To deal with the concussion issue.

So the answer is yes we board way to many people, but professional sports and big time college sports a physician is usually assessing the patient, and making the treatment decisions.

If you notice the emts and paramedics are usually just stretcher jockeys. These players are huge investments their not going to leave a treatment decision to some paramedic or emt.