First Ride Along

weezer591

Forum Ride Along
I searched for some threads about this but didn't come across one..
well i'm starting emt basic classes in the middle of may but i am planning on going for a ride along just to get a feel for everything
just wondering how i go about signing up for one? like what is the process?

and do you guys like when people do ride alongs?

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
well, logically, the first step would be to call your local FD and ask if they do ride alongs, and if they do, then sign up! Most don't do them around here, or if they do, they won't let us perform any kind of patient care, even as an EMT.

Personally, (from a hospital perspective) I love having students. They can learn things from my examples, and actually start to do some of the work depending on how far they are in class. I do work at a teaching hospital, so we see students and the like all the time.

Jeremy

OP
OP
W

weezer591

Forum Ride Along
yup i'm planning on stopping by the local FD tomorrow to find out more just thought i'd ask:)

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I am currently doing ride alongs and they are great. I haven't really had anyone say no to me when I ask if I can ride third member, and they don't seem to mind. Just don't do anything unless you really know what you're doing or they walk you through it, if you do something wrong they'll be pretty quick to tell you. Once you do you kind of get a feel for things. I just got home from one today with an awesome paramedic who lets me do quite a bit. Couple things I am allowed to do:

Apply leads for 4 lead, administor O2, get pulsox, help with glucose checks, help setting up IVs, holding C-spine, general patient packaging, getting HIPPA forms signed, restocking the truck after a call. Oh, and the usual hauling equipment :p (lifepack, O2 bottle, jump bag.)

I guess I am lucky though to ride with a paramedic who doesn't just say sit on your hands and stay out of the way. Your mileage may very of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
So what you're saying is I can just call the local station and ask to do a ride a long and tell them I'm in class?

I had no idea I could do that. How long do these rides usually last?

trevor1189

Forum Captain
So what you're saying is I can just call the local station and ask to do a ride a long and tell them I'm in class?

I had no idea I could do that. How long do these rides usually last?

1. If they have a ride along program and ok it, yes.
2. I usually do them for a 12 hour shift. 7am-7pm. Depends on the dept.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I should also add that I am a member of the dept I do my paramedic ride alongs with so I can pretty much stay as long as I want. I just ask the crew if I am good to ride and that's it. But, I was doing ride alongs before I was a member there.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Actually alot of local EMS do whats considered "Civilian Ride Alongs", and like myself being BLS Certified I have been able to work Cardiac Arrests, 12 leads, spiking bags and etc... due to my work experience. Also depends on who you ride with, most are great but you sometimes get the ones that dont like answering questions or being bothered.

reaper

Working Bum
Actually alot of local EMS do whats considered "Civilian Ride Alongs", and like myself being BLS Certified I have been able to work Cardiac Arrests, 12 leads, spiking bags and etc... due to my work experience. Also depends on who you ride with, most are great but you sometimes get the ones that dont like answering questions or being bothered.

Most decent services will not allow civilian ride alongs to have pt contact. You are there to observe and learn, not to have hands on. The liability issues are huge!

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, the civilian ride alongs are just that...for observing. But with my experience and the shift supervisors okay, a copy of my BLS card, Drivers License etc.. and a signed sheet of paper signing liabilities for injuries on the job, it has been okay with them. I have actually ridden with alot of supervisors. They have to mention me in reports and all of that.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Yeah I don't know about civilian ride along but if you have some bls skills or experience my experience is they will let you assist with patient care.

dodgemt

Forum Ride Along
Depends on the company.. my local ambulance does ride alongs to see if you like it, but I had to get certified in first aid first which isn't bad. We had a little class that only lasted a couple hours to get certified for that. I highly suggest you ride along to see what is it like. It is a good idea :)

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Well, naturally, we're not going to be rude and tell you we dont like it when we have third party riders,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,here's the way I feel about it :

If your just going to stand there and watch, and dont want to get involved, do it from at least 6 feet away (if that puts you outside of the truck, so be it).
If your going to help, know what your helping with, and do it right
If you dont know what your doing and want to question what is is we're doing, dont do it on a critical call, wait until afterwards, and stay out of the way in the mean time.

There are rules at our service that no one can ride after 9 unless the crew decides otherwise, and gets approval. We have found that students and third party riders like to stay up all night and talk about things they've seen, or been around, and ask the same questions over and over again. They act like its a sleep over party.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Slight Hijack:

MISS MEDIC!!! WHERE have you been? I haven't seen you around in ages.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Slight Hijack:

MISS MEDIC!!! WHERE have you been? I haven't seen you around in ages.

MUAH !!!

Ive been in hiding, sitting, quietly thinking of how I can be reeeeally mean, kinda sorta a passive aggressive b*%c#. I came up with a few things, and here I am, ready to share them with the world !!! :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
MUAH !!!

Ive been in hiding, sitting, quietly thinking of how I can be reeeeally mean, kinda sorta a passive aggressive b*%c#. I came up with a few things, and here I am, ready to share them with the world !!! :p

Yaaaaay. Sounds fun!

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Well, naturally, we're not going to be rude and tell you we dont like it when we have third party riders,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,here's the way I feel about it :

If your just going to stand there and watch, and dont want to get involved, do it from at least 6 feet away (if that puts you outside of the truck, so be it).
If your going to help, know what your helping with, and do it right
If you dont know what your doing and want to question what is is we're doing, dont do it on a critical call, wait until afterwards, and stay out of the way in the mean time.

There are rules at our service that no one can ride after 9 unless the crew decides otherwise, and gets approval. We have found that students and third party riders like to stay up all night and talk about things they've seen, or been around, and ask the same questions over and over again. They act like its a sleep over party.

I have to disagree with you here on several levels. Any and all ride alongs, even if all they can do is just observe, need to be taught. The need to get in close and you, as a preceptor, need to instruct them on each and everything you are doing for the pt; yes, even the critical ones and even as you are doing said interventions.

If you are unable to teach and perform duties simultaneously, then maybe you shouldn't have a ride along with you on your truck. Nothing against you in the least. It's just that some providers have a difficult time teaching and doing at the same time. This happens to be one of the very few times I can multitask.

By them asking what you are doing and why you are doing it on a pt while you are doing it is also an excellent time to inform your pt/loved ones as well.

All my students are required to get their hands dirty. I get them involved. I want them to ask questions. I want them near me at all times. Wherever I go, they go. We will discuss what we are expecting going to a call. We are discussing actual interventions. We are debriefing after a call. They will also get a copy of the my report, minus pt identification, from each and every call to take with them and study. I don't want my students out of my sight. How else can they learn?

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
This entire "Ride Along" thing is an interesting topic depending on where you are in the U.S. Out her in my area ride alongs are virtually non-existant. Liability issues just ruined the chances for EMS interested folks to get a taste of what EMS is. One company in particular had a really bad experience wiht ride alongs... the Medic "slept with" the 18 year old high school student doing a ride along and the company got sued by the ROP program that set this up. Obviously this is an extrme case. More commonly, the companies are concerned with the ride alongs getting hurt or, worse, the ride along hurting the patient. As far as hands on care for a ride-along... bad idea unless this is ride time set up by the EMT course.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
This entire "Ride Along" thing is an interesting topic depending on where you are in the U.S. Out her in my area ride alongs are virtually non-existant. Liability issues just ruined the chances for EMS interested folks to get a taste of what EMS is. One company in particular had a really bad experience wiht ride alongs... the Medic "slept with" the 18 year old high school student doing a ride along and the company got sued by the ROP program that set this up. Obviously this is an extrme case. More commonly, the companies are concerned with the ride alongs getting hurt or, worse, the ride along hurting the patient. As far as hands on care for a ride-along... bad idea unless this is ride time set up by the EMT course.

Agreed. Ride alongs aren't even accepted in my area unless they are a part of an EMT course.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Agreed. Ride alongs aren't even accepted in my area unless they are a part of an EMT course.

Same here, have to be part of a course, and it is arranged through the course.