First responders

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Chimpie@May 4 2005, 10:59 AM
Lisa, are you saying that even though you are an EMT, when you respond for the fire department you only serving as a First Responder? As in the fire dept doesn't allow EMT care to be provided?
Yeah, I'm wondering the same.

jafo

Forum Probie
I believe what Lisa is saying is that she is not on Full Duty as a member who is expected to respond. She is taking calls when and if she can and is up to it, and most likely responding directly to the scene. This is common practice around here for those who are not on duty but find themselves nearby a call when the tones drop.
I'm pretty sure she is responding as an EMT doing what she can wtihout the rig on scene, is that correct Lisa?
WHere I think the confusion comes in is that Lisa is using the term First Responder to refer to the METHOD of her response, not the CAPACITY she responds in. For most of this thread, we have used the term First Responder to refer to a level of training.
Did I get that right?

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
As a Red Cross Emergency Response instructor, I train to the First Responder level (the course is based on the USDOT FR curriculum). Unfortunately, in California, FR is not formally recognized as part of the EMS system, so it basically ends up being an advanced first aid class. About the only people who get it are industrial responders (security mainly) and people who want it for personal knowledge. None of the FDs around here use it...most require EMT-1 (Basic) as a minimum. Interestingly, the state-mandated minimum for FFs is CPR, basic first aid and a couple other items (SIDS awareness, etc.) that's well exceeded by the FR curriculum.

I started out in EMS as a First Responder, when I was the Safety Engineer at the Los Angeles Times. We trained our security staff and a few others (like myself) as FRs when the in-house Medical Dept. was closed down. Worked very well for us as to provide initial care before LAFD arrived on-scene.

My father-in-law is a retired volunteer FF from Indiana, and was a CFR on their department. At the time, I believe he was the highest-trained EMS provider until the county ambulance squad arrived on-scene. Worked very well for them, and they still rely on it heavily.

Lisa

Forum Crew Member
Yes I can respond as an EMT and do some things without the rig there.
Jafo.....yes you are correct. I am sorry if I confused everyone.

Around here if you are responding as medical personall before the rig gets there you are reffered to as a First Responder. Hope this straightens things out.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Lisa@May 5 2005, 10:11 AM
Yes I can respond as an EMT and do some things without the rig there.
Jafo.....yes you are correct. I am sorry if I confused everyone.

Around here if you are responding as medical personall before the rig gets there you are reffered to as a First Responder. Hope this straightens things out.
Ah, ok, this is the mistake I made earlier in the thread - rather than being the first on scene (like I am as an officer in my FD), they're talking about "Certified First Responder" or some similar version of certification, which has less skills than EMT.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 4 2005, 11:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 4 2005, 11:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chimpie@May 4 2005, 10:59 AM
Lisa, are you saying that even though you are an EMT, when you respond for the fire department you only serving as a First Responder? As in the fire dept doesn't allow EMT care to be provided?
Yeah, I'm wondering the same. [/b][/quote]
I don't know if that is how it is for her, but with the FD I was a vollie with that is the way it was. We had RN's, Paramedics, and Basics on the department but when they responded with the department they could only perform on a first responder level. Chief would tell them its because the dept is not covered for anything other than FR level care.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
The media refers to all persons responding to Emergencies; prior to government involvement i.e. FEMA, etc; "First Responders".

We have teams of firefighters cross trained as EMT's and DOH First Responders known as "Quick Responder Services". They respond with two or three people in a small fire apparatus known as an "Initial Attack Vehicle". It carries Basic Life Support medical equipment, small rescue tools like sawzall tools, rescue bars, K80 saws, cribbing, fluid kits, SCBA, etc; and may have a small tank w/ pump n' go and a reel line.