First In Compton

How do I know about So. Cal. EMS? Maybe because I worked in Southern California during my undergrad and understand how EMS in California works. Here's a hint. Los Angeles County Local Emergency Medical Services Authority ("Los Angeles EMS") sets the protocol for the entire county. The vast majority of emergency EMS response in LA County is done by the respective fire departments. Except in rare and special circumstances (e.g. EMS in Catalina Island) everyone in LA plays by the same rule book (again, note, fire departments paramedics run the vast majority of 911 calls in LA County regardless of who transports).

Oh, and if you could name something that's being done progressive in LA County in terms of EMS, you would have listed it. Thanks for playing.

Why do I care? Maybe because I have an interest in prehospital care? Maybe because I'm sick and tired of the rape of EMS in California by agencies who thinks that they're the best darn thing since sliced bread besides not being trusted enough to run calls without being required to contact a base hospital (despite insanely short transport times) nor read 12 leads.

I agree with you in some respects, but you don't know the system entirely. LA City FD operates under SFTP's (standing field treatment protocols), which allows them to forego base hospital contact and just call in protocol runs to the destination hospital....basically a 'heads up' call on what would be a 'base contact required' c/c for any other provider. example: rescue XX with an M4 protocol run, ETA 10 minutes.

The only progressive policy change in LA County vs. National standards has been the doses of NTG based on systolic pressure in CHF crisis (which can be done prior to base). With no lasix available and CPAP just now being implemented throughout the county (but still in the scope), increased doses of nitrates are what keep these people alive.

But yea, for the most part, LA County policy/scope is pretty limited and is a disservice to patients in outlying areas of the county.

Oh and the show is great! I DVR and watch it when I can every week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back