First Day!

Well its been a while...

Whats far more troubling is the fact she is the only EMT on duty and its her first day.

Not good.

Well its been a while...

Whats far more troubling is the fact she is the only EMT on duty and its her first day.

Not good.

Welcome back!! I thought you left the site awhile back!!

As long as there are paramedics I don't see as big of an issue with being the only on duty EMT with many companies being using the EMT simply as a driver. However it is a major issue that she was allowed to drive lights and sirens with no training what so ever. Driving lights and sirens with training on it is dangerous in itself, with absolutely no experience a) driving an ambulance and b) using lights and sirens, they forced her to put herself, her coworkers, her patients and the public at risk. I would quit that place ASAP, since by their actions they have demonstrated that they don't care about their employees what so ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevermind, I'm going to be nice.

LOL I see what you did there.

EMTBgurl- Congrats on your first day(s)! Reading this makes me a little jealous and I'm going crazy when I think about the fact that I have 8.5 long months of school left. I cannot wait to be in your shoes!
Good luck!

Here in Mississippi we have to take those EVOC classes and get a EMS driver "license". Its good to take even though it may not be required where you are. My first call as a basic was for altered mental status. We got there and the paramedic did a half *** stroke assessment then we started her on fluids because her BGL was high around 300 or so. All he did was arm drift for stroke assessment, guess that is better than no assessment at all. In class we test 10 out of the 12 cranial nerves, takes less than 90 seconds.

Now my first clinical call as a basic student was for no breathing, got there and man had been dead for several hours :(

I haven't taken the test yet, but quite honestly I don't believe just EVOC alone is enough to have some people driving an emergency vehicle around. Luckily the companies in my area are bigger companies with good orientation programs, and you get experience driving before you're on your own with just the medic.

My first clinical was a woman who fell and was demented. I was so damn nervous.

Welcome back!! I thought you left the site awhile back!!.

I missed the intellectual conversation.

Missed me didnt you? :)

I missed the intellectual conversation.

Missed me didnt you? :)

Of course! Who else would I argue with now that medic417 is gone?

Wait he's gone, say it isnt so.

Well that makes things a little less interesting, next thing you ll tell me is Vent is gone also.

Sorry for hijacking. CountryEMTbgrl. Welcome to EMS.

Yes I was the only emt on, but this is a small company and there were 3 paramedics that went with me on every call. Me and a medic in the ambulance, and 2 medics that drove the Tahoe came along for the ride. So one was talking to me about what was going on and what to do next while I was helping. As far as the driving, this is my first EMS job, so I am not fimilar with whats "suppose" to happen. So I am just doing as told!

Originally Posted by Sasha

As far as this comment!! Sasha please do me a favor and email me personally;

mcgreatdanes@hotmail.com

So we can HASH out WHATEVER problem you have with me! Cause it's getting a little old!

Thanks,
Crystal

Yes I was the only emt on, but this is a small company and there were 3 paramedics that went with me on every call. Me and a medic in the ambulance, and 2 medics that drove the Tahoe came along for the ride. So one was talking to me about what was going on and what to do next while I was helping. As far as the driving, this is my first EMS job, so I am not fimilar with whats "suppose" to happen. So I am just doing as told!

mcgreatdanes@hotmail.com

So we can HASH out WHATEVER problem you have with me! Cause it's getting a little old!

Thanks,
Crystal

Sweetie that was not directed at you, chill out.

Wait he's gone, say it isnt so.

Well that makes things a little less interesting, next thing you ll tell me is Vent is gone also.

Sorry for hijacking. CountryEMTbgrl. Welcome to EMS.

If you REALLY miss him that much I can have him message you :P You guys were such great friends!

Of course Vent is around. I heart Vent. However Rid has seemed to gain a social life and leave all of us at EMTLife behind :[

mcgreatdanes@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Crystal

I don't think anyone is directing anger or anything else at you personally. We're concerned for the safety of you and others, as well as concerned at the lack of safety-consciousness at many companies out there.

The truth of the matter is that companies like your new one are putting your life, your partners' lives, your patients' lives, and public lives at risk by not providing proper training to you. Driving an ambulance is unlike driving most other vehicles, and driving an ambulance "priority" (or whatever you call it) is probably the most dangerous thing we do in EMS.

If you crash an ambulance while driving emergently, you will almost always be found at-fault in the accident. Your company is not likely to protect you. You are likely to seriously injure or kill yourself, your partner, your patient, and others.

This is no joke. Companies who throw people out there to drive ambulances without training or experience show a lack of respect of their employees or communities.

SASHA-
I apologize for calling you out if that wasn't directed towards me.

As for the driving again;

I was put between a rock and a hard spot! Again, I'm not sure what is "SUPPPOSE" to go on on the first day, and whats not. I mean I felt obligated to drive as I was thrown the keys. But my first call WASN'T priority. Not saying one 3 hour drive and I'm good to go, but what was I suppose to say "NO"

I just want to be a good employee......

I understand now all the DANGERs, so tomorrow on my next 24. I will ask to get more training as I would feel more comfortable.

always be aware of the situation in the back, if your partner is standing or what not. it's good to call corners, stopping points, big bumps and train tracks.

you'll get better at it, it's nerve racking the 1st couple of shifts..

word of advise though...don't get all flustered when ya got to drive code, relax and drive normally with a propose. the lights and sirens only give you about 30 secs to a min on time...oh ya and don't sound crazy on the mic, you will get hell for that from the other crews...

SASHA-
I apologize for calling you out if that wasn't directed towards me.

As for the driving again;

I was put between a rock and a hard spot! Again, I'm not sure what is "SUPPPOSE" to go on on the first day, and whats not. I mean I felt obligated to drive as I was thrown the keys. But my first call WASN'T priority. Not saying one 3 hour drive and I'm good to go, but what was I suppose to say "NO"

I just want to be a good employee......

I understand now all the DANGERs, so tomorrow on my next 24. I will ask to get more training as I would feel more comfortable.

I don't think anyone is blaming you, we are simply voicing our opinion on the company. I think most of us know what it's like to work for a company that just wants a body with a pulse and has no regard for the safety and welfare of the employees or the patients where their main concern is the bottom dollar.

You are stuck between two hard places, on one hand, you need the job, you need the experience to go somewhere better, and on the other hand, you know it is unsafe.

Please remember above everything else to be safe. We do NOT speed, we do NOT run redlights. This is dangerous. No patient is worth your life. Lights and Sirens are basically a request for drivers to give you the right of way, some will, many will not, never ever count on them moving for you!

And wear your seat belt, in the front and in the back!

Good examples of what not to do: http://www.cassingham.com/code3.html

it's good to call corners, stopping points, big bumps and train tracks.

My partners and I always announce bumps, tracks, and hard stops. I'd prefer my partner to be paying attention to the road instead of me in the back. If I need to stand up or unbuckle my seat belt for any reason, I let them know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad your first day went well for you. As you can see from all the various posts there is a lot to learn that has nothing to do with medicine. And there is no shortage of opinions on the assorted subjects. Our company does take driver training seriously and crashes still happen. A moments inattention is all it takes no matter how well trained you are. You always have to anticipate and concentrate when driving. A life altering mistake is always just a heartbeat away.

In the past year our company has had two fatal crashes. In the first nothing was found to be wrong and it is still unexplained. (personaly I think the driver fell asleep). The second one is still being investigated. (Black ice and too fast for conditions are possibilities.) Both crashes happened on interfacility transfers.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/09/17/ambulance-crash.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/12/07/ns-fatal-ambulance-crash.html

Welcome to the profession. Enjoy it. It's wonderful. Always try and learn something everyday. Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to learn from them and not to do them again. Hope your 2nd 24 goes well too.

This is no joke. Companies who throw people out there to drive ambulances without training or experience show a lack of respect of their employees or communities.[/QUOTE]

This the problem with private for profit ems, anyone with a pulse will do. Granted in y sixteen week fire academy we did not drive ambulances, but we were well within the required health and fitness to do so, and everyone in my graduating class had some prior experiance working on an ambulance.

Back