First 24 hr shift done

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well someone needed me to work for them Saturday from 7AM until Sunday 7AM. My first time on a ALS truck and driving. I get help with directions and things from the medic. I had two car accidents, one where I car went into a drainage culvert and flipped on its top. The pts. were wet, one female and one pediatric female. They had minor injuries, we packaging and transported. I got backboards and CID's from the ambulance. I had probably a total of 7 or 8 runs on the whole shift.

Had one lady SOB. She had shallow rapid respirations, found out she had just been back from ER following early AM. She had a script for inhaler etc. Medic gave her nebulizer treatment w/ 8L 02 and coached her to slow down breathing. I could hear wheezing across all lung fields, after treatment it was diminshed. It is my understanding that the albuterol treatment only works 4-6 hrs.

Anyhow that call got my adrenaline going good. Number 1 because it was my first SOB where they were in really bad shape, number 2 someone pulled in front of use while we were responding.

Medic said i did good. I did get turned around one time on the way back to the hospital, after picking up a pt with cc vomiting for 24 hrs, but it was an emergency at 3am. I found it is necessary to wear hats at night, I will keep this in mind next time :rolleyes:

I had to get the map out at a stop sign, it was embarrassing. It takes time to learn, I think I learned alot and did the best I could. We had to wash the truck after the shift and mob it out etc.

I really enjoy this work alot. The work is hard and tiresome, but its well worth it.

MD71381

Forum Ride Along
Sounds like you had one heck of a day. I am excited for you and excited to be getting into this myself.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yay, I'm happy for you! :] Sounds like you did good, love. Congrats on your first 24 hour.

reaper

Working Bum
Hell, I still have to pull out the map, once in awhile. Don't sweat it!

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Sounds like you did good. I work with a paramedic partner. Sounds like you had a better shift than most of mine. One thing though, if you are going to be working more of those kind of shifts, you might want to look into investing in a GPS unit. They are great and work well in my area. And if you get lost, it isn't a big deal because it will redirect you. Well good luck.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Good job!

Better to look at the map than get lost in "OMG where am the hell am I" land! :wacko: Sounds like you are getting the hang of things, remember no question is ever stupid! Stay safe and well!! :):):)

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well the medic I worked with made a comment that some medics don't like alot of questions. I don't think I asked that many. If it is something important and I want to ask I am going to. If I do have to work more of those shift I will get one of those GPS units with color display. I do have a GPS that hooks up to the computer for work, but I just need to buy one that has it all built in.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
The worst I did was with a scheduling mistake done on the part of the scheduling officer. I did a twenty four hour shift, got twelve hours off, and then did another twenty four hour shift.

Man, was I dead on my feet after that mess.

eric2068

Forum Crew Member
We do 24/48 at the county I work for, and I tell ya what. I love it. Some days we don't turn a tire, and some days, we never see the station. The great thing abount our service, is our command staff is very good about down time. As long as the station is cleaned, the buses are stocked, clean ready to go, they leave us alone. They don't try to make busy work, because they know there is a strong possibilty that we could be up all night, and they want to be safe. In fact, at the outlying stations, where I work, my work day is usually over by 8:30am. Time to hit the couch. Good luck.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah we get to watch TV to and stuff, but we got chores but they can be done by time the shift is over. I did find out that the sleeping quarters is cold and I think they must build snowmen in there while I am asleep, I woke up shivering cold, I had my pants and shirt etc. on. I think I will bring an electric blanket next time.