Fireman

Guitarplaya84

Forum Ride Along
Hey,
I'm the newb on the block. and i just wanted to stop in and say hi. i am starting class on the 18th for my EMT-B. looking to further my education and eventualy to be a paramedic, but i really want to be a fireman. i dont know if there are many fireman on here, but any advice or imput that you have is welcomed. thnx.

Last edited by a moderator:

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Hey,
i am starting class on the 18th for my EMT-B. looking to further my education and eventualy to be a paramedic, but i really want to be a fireman.

There are people on here who will kill you for that blasphemy, but as a fellow FF/EMT, welcome, and good luck with your EMT class. If you need any help with it, your instructor, classmates, or the folks here at EMTLife will be glad to help.

Peace,
Sam

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome! If you need ANY help, feel free to ask!

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
Im one of the Firefighters on here... let me welcome you to our corner of dysfunction...where WE put the FUN in it ...okay few rules...

1)Women are always right
2)if your a man arguing with a woman and think your right, see rule 1
3)dont feed Jon thats my job...

EMT-B is def the right path I know here where im at emt b IS a requirement to be a firefighter.... they put you through a one month crash course and send you into NREMT....this being said if you want to be a ff i would have suggested getting on a dept and letting THEM pay for classes...but its a blast if you need help ask we are all one big happy famil here

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
It all works together well, welcome to the tribe! so let me guess, you like rock&roll!^_^ ^_^

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
what in the hell would to want to be a firefighter for????

its hot in there!!!!!!

welcom to the 7th ring of hell.

WannaBEMT

Forum Crew Member
Welcome to the forum! You are heading in the right direction for your career goals it seems, if FF is something you want to do more than anything than go for it, get your EMT-B as already stated, most FD want you to have that and it is more experience under your belt and the knowledge to help someone during/after you save them from a burning building...;)

Jenn

OP
OP
Guitarplaya84

Guitarplaya84

Forum Ride Along
WOW!!! I wasnt expecting to get that good of a response. thanks to all for saying hi. to answer a few of you... do i like rock and roll?... how could you tell, was it the name or the avatar. i would have let a FD pay for my classes, but i work at Gateway, and the only volunteer firedept that i can get on is right by work. now i live 15 minutes away and there are alot of other people that want on that live in the same town, so i have been on there waiting list for about a year and havnt been accepted and havnt been able to pay for my classes until now... and i could only be on call during the day. so i figured that i would pay for them to show them i am serious and maybe i can catch a break. my ultimate goal is to become a full liscenced paramedic. i would like to do one of two things. primarily be a fireman, secondarily a paramedic (pref. Life Flight). i am hoping to get on the volunteer fire dept. and when i move back to texas work on the fire dept in lindale where i will be moving. it is half city supported and half volunteer, and eventually move to dallas to work on there fire dept. but if i cannot get on a fire dept, i will have my EMT to fall back on. Celtictigress... my wife tells me rules 1 and 2 all the time. just in case some of you are wondering why Fire dept. my uncle is a FF and back during 911 he packed up on his dime to ground zero. he told me that it was worth it even if he only saved one person. i agree and that is what i want to do. if i pay thousands of dollars and spend half my life trying to save everyone that i can and only save one i know that it will all have been worth it. any other imput you can give on what to expect from the classes or anything like that. thnx. (long winded)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
So what are your favorite bands, old school or new, and lead guitarist?B)

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
Hi Guitarplaya84,

I'm one of those people that put on a snow suit on August with a funny looking hat and run into burning buildings when everyone is running out. You are on the right path to being a Firefighter. Many of the departments in Connecticut require a minimum of EMT. Going to paramedic school opens even more opertunities.

You will find on some sites alot of bashing going on between Fire EMS, Private Company EMS, Volunteer, 3rd Service EMS as well as between EMTs, Paramedics and 1st Responders. It doesn't happen too bad here , which is why I hang out here. This site is nicely moderated where you can express your opinion. The moderators will only stop a thread if it really gets out of hand.

Dave
:beerchug:

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
what in the hell would to want to be a firefighter for????

its hot in there!!!!!!

We go to hell so that you don't have to. If you can't take the heat, become a cop. ;)

OP
OP
Guitarplaya84

Guitarplaya84

Forum Ride Along
I like everything. i listen to country hip hop but mostly rock and punk. here lately i have been listening to hinder and trapt alot, but i listen to alot of saliva and sevendust too. i wouldnt say play lead i can but i like rythm and that is what i am most comfortable with. i did alot of research before making my choice in education and what path i was going to take. thats why i am going in the order that i am. but i would really like to do search and rescue. l8er

macinfire

Forum Probie
FD in Texas paid for my rookie school, EMT-B, and EMT-P, then moved south to a better dept. Firefighting is second in my city.......90% of calls are EMS, no private service here whatsoever. We do it all... that is why I am hanging out here and not Firehouse.com! I need to better my EMS skills!

BUT, there are some fireman I know who did not get into the job to do EMS....why? I don't know...they had to know most of what we do is EMS????? EMS is what pulled me into this career.

Good luck with school!

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
exactly sam, we fight what others Fear..

even now as the only female FF the guys give me Hell.....but Im the little sister in the brotherhood..and its us going into that Hell that makes us so close....It may be hot and it may be Hell..But Let me quote something

"A FireFighter's Prayer"
Anonymous

When I am called to duty, God
Whenever flames may rage,
Give me the strength to save some life
Whatever be its age,
Help me embrace a little child
Before it is too late
Or save an older person from
The horror of that fate
Enable me to be alert and
Hear the weakest shout
And quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out
I want to fill my calling and
To give the best in me,
To guard my every neighbor and
Protect his property
And if according to my fate
I am to lose my life,
Please bless with your
protecting hand
My children and my Mate.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
"A FireFighter's Prayer"
Anonymous

When I am called to duty, God
Whenever flames may rage,
Give me the strength to save some life
Whatever be its age,
Help me embrace a little child
Before it is too late
Or save an older person from
The horror of that fate
Enable me to be alert and
Hear the weakest shout
And quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out
I want to fill my calling and
To give the best in me,
To guard my every neighbor and
Protect his property
And if according to my fate
I am to lose my life,
Please bless with your
protecting hand
My children and my Mate.

At one local station, at the guys all say that at the begining of every shift. I've been there for it a few times, and it never fails to send a shiver down my spine.

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
It does the same to me....

One of my Bros at the station everytime we roll to a call (fuzzy dice and all) we have a ritual of saying it....and you know whats amazing?? rolling to a call not "Getting there quick enough" its never quick enough..and the same person yelling at us is the one who winds up cutting us off there...gee... I wonder why.. must think we can stop the trucks at the rop of a hat...

Emergency responders be it fire police ems are having moe difficulties with inconsiderate drivers these days...*Le sigh* anywho enough of my rampage..not yet

why the hell do we want to be firefighters.. well why the hell does he want to be an EMT??? same question rephrased.... we know our callings....we love what we do..well I do anyway you Sam??you take pride in it???

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
hun

was asking that to be sarcastic *wink*i recall him asking why...was answering it with a question towards you heh

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I started wanting to be a firefighter and wound up being a Paramedic. Now I just watch the younger ones go in and fight the fire. I will be there when they get out. And if they need me I will go in and help. But I'm getting to old for that *stuff*

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
I started out as an emt went Firefighter...going for Paramedic... mwuuhahahaha... old??Bah age is just a number...but then again im under 30 HA HA