Fire Science Degree and EMS

FutureRescue

Forum Probie
Reaction score
So I currently have an associates in fire science and am hopefully signing up for EMT school soon. My intention was to get my EMT license and try to get into a fire department. Since I am new to this, my question may sound silly. But, if I were to get my EMT license would it look better to a fire department having the fire science degree too?

Meaning would I stand out more than someone who only posses the EMT license and no degree.

If I can offer some advice, I'd say get at least an associates, if not a bachelor's degree. I would get your Fire Science degree and your Paramedic ticket, not just your EMT.

Yes, the more education you have the more you will stand out. Remember, if you have your Paramedic cert that means that they don't/won't have to put you through the training in the future.

I agree with chimpie 100%

But I would just offer a small piece of advice in addition.

When you go to paramedic class, while you are there, do not treat it like a bonus add on cert. That is the surest way to struggle academically.

When you are in paramedic class, there is not fire, there is nothing outside paramedic class.

How is a fire science degree going to help you become a medical professional bro seriously put the crank pipe down .....

How is a fire science degree going to help you become a medical professional bro seriously put the crank pipe down .....

It can't.

But the sad fact is that paramedicine in the US largely is a public service vocation not a health career.

No amount of my complaining will alter that fact.

I said I want to be an EMT at a fire department. I asked if having the fire science degree would better my chances even though I am going for EMT. Kind of like having the knowledge of both fields.

I said I want to be an EMT at a fire department. I asked if having the fire science degree would better my chances even though I am going for EMT. Kind of like having the knowledge of both fields.

Since many fire departments are also the providers of EMS and they need paramedics to fill their ranks as well as the amount of money a FD must spend to take an EMT and make them a paramedic, becomming a paramedic prior to attempting to get hired on a fire department is sound advice in the US, no matter what the politics of EMS are.

I recommend you get a degree, whether or not you need one right now. You can't know what career options you might want or need in the future. A degree never leaves you with fewer options.

Back