Fire captain arrested for blocking traffic at an MVA

Wow. Apparently that officer never took basic EVOC or any other emergency vehicle training. They did exactly what they were suppose to do. When I went through the police academy, I had to learn where anyone is suppose to be during a crash scene, and then had to do it again when I got into EMS. So how this guy missed it alludes me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is old guys. Already been threaded here several times.

Wow. Apparently that officer never took basic EVOC or any other emergency vehicle training. They did exactly what they were suppose to do. When I went through the police academy, I had to learn where anyone is suppose to be during a crash scene, and then had to do it again when I got into EMS. So how this guy missed it alludes me.

Probably just another overzealous "I'm the boss" LEO.

broken link on the update. what happened afterwards?!!

Well I hadn't heard of it.

But good to see common sense prevailed.

ya know, after a legal battle....

Yeah this is old but still shocking. Another episode of horrible abuse of power by LEOs.

That was a pretty rediculous move by the police officer but that fire captain is crazy. Did you see him get out before the truck was stopped? He loves his job.

That was a pretty rediculous move by the police officer but that fire captain is crazy. Did you see him get out before the truck was stopped? He loves his job.

What is wrong with loving your job? Maybe he is a little over-eager, but hey, at least he in motivated!:P

I believe the LEO was putting the negative impact on traffic above the safety of the crew and the most of all, the patient. For some reason he wanted to keep the traffic flowing as smooth as possible, without regard for accident scene, thinking they were far enough over and were already blocking one lane.

I also read an article in this months issue of Firehouse about command on a MVA scene. Despite the fact that state laws vary, there is really no clear cut law that lays out the who has authority over an accident scene. So, when the professional working relationship breaks down on a scene, I guess the guy with the gun and handcuffs wins.

I tried to input a link to the story, but it is not online yet. It is titled. "Police-Fire Wars: Who Is in Charge?" if you want to check it out.

What is wrong with loving your job? Maybe he is a little over-eager, but hey, at least he in motivated!:P

Granted that jumping out of a moving firetruck doing 5 mph is pretty low on the dangerous scale to your average firefighter, I really think that was a stupid move on his part. If he had twisted his ankle, fell and banged his knee, fell and banged his head, or any other number of things... Well, you'd have a second patient on your hands who is not only useless to the scene but drawing resources off the main call.

Not earth shattering, but stupid nonetheless.

Granted that jumping out of a moving firetruck doing 5 mph is pretty low on the dangerous scale to your average firefighter, I really think that was a stupid move on his part. If he had twisted his ankle, fell and banged his knee, fell and banged his head, or any other number of things... Well, you'd have a second patient on your hands who is not only useless to the scene but drawing resources off the main call.

Not earth shattering, but stupid nonetheless.

Firefighters do run into burning buildings on a somewhat regular basis, so he likely felt that his little hop out of the truck was low on the risk side. I'd tend to agree.

So, when the professional working relationship breaks down on a scene, I guess the guy with the gun and handcuffs wins.

And then that guy gets his *** handed to him afterwards.

I believe the FD should have "command" of the situation due to the fact that it's the FD/EMS who does the extrications and treatment of pts rather than the ol' five-oh. But that's just my opinion...

Been talked about several times

I believe the LEO was putting the negative impact on traffic above the safety of the crew and the most of all, the patient. For some reason he wanted to keep the traffic flowing as smooth as possible, without regard for accident scene, thinking they were far enough over and were already blocking one lane.

I also read an article in this months issue of Firehouse about command on a MVA scene. Despite the fact that state laws vary, there is really no clear cut law that lays out the who has authority over an accident scene. So, when the professional working relationship breaks down on a scene, I guess the guy with the gun and handcuffs wins.

I tried to input a link to the story, but it is not online yet. It is titled. "Police-Fire Wars: Who Is in Charge?" if you want to check it out.

SC is the only state I have seen yet that has a law on the books for this. In SC the Fire Chief on scene has ultimate command of the scene and can order the LEO around. I don't agree with it, all the time, but it does lay out command a little better!

Coldhearted police officer should have been fired, i am sorry but that is so bs!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you notice that once the Captain was arrested, the officer did not even try to move the Fire truck again. What a ****

Last edited by a moderator:
Back