Finding a Job? - Recommendations

itzfrank

Forum Crew Member
I'm an National Registry EMT-B with an over half of my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice. I would like to find a Security Officer/EMT job, or just an EMT job, but I don't know where to look. I think they may just not be that in demand in my area. I've applied for a couple of jobs, but I don't have any experience, so it's like a shot in the dark. I want to have experience, but where do you start?

Thanks!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Almost any State Dept of Corrections (CA, IL, FL) would love to have you as either a medical officer or Corrections ofc. Lots of overtime as a D.O.C. officer that does hospital duty. You would be limitied as the guard but you would have to be around for all of the treatment. The hospitals that take max. security inmates including death row, must have Corrections Officers (at least 2, usually 3 ofcs) with them at ALL times including in the operating room. The larger prison systems may also have their own emergency response teams...specially trained EMTs and EMT-Ps.

If you want to relocate for experience;
In many areas, like San Francisco, the sheriff's deputies are the county "jailers". http://www.sfsheriff.com/ Cost of living is expensive in SF but the money from OT is incredible.

Some of the smaller municipalities in Florida still have Public Safety officers which is a combination of Police Officer and EMT/EMT-P for better first response.

You may find similar situations in Illinois especially in the rural regions. A training course in Farm machinery or Industrial machinery accidents might be helpful.

Some of the larger Sheriff's department in Florida that provide police protection for the county have their own S.W.A.T Paramedics (depending on your ambitions).

Other opportunities include being a safety officer/security for industry. Many large plants and industrial sites want someone knowledgable in both. Coal mines, factories, lumber mills, refineries and just about any company that has more than 300 employees at one site.

The private industry jobs I just mentioned in the last paragraph may require experience (or may not). The public service jobs with the S.O. and DOC are usually entry level with training provided. Also, the rest of your college may be paid for by the employer.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Just a little extra, my father was a Safety Officer/Security first with a coal mine and then as he neared retirement at a large candy manufacturer.:)

Since Illinois is a union state, check the union offices; Teamsters, AFL-CIO etc for job postings.