Female trainers?

frdude1000

Forum Captain
A female instructor taught my EMT-B class. She was great. Very tough but a great medic and teacher. We have a few here but yes, there are more men in EMS.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
When I went to San Jose City College, the lead instructor was male, but I took two classes there were like an extension to the class called Clinical Tech I, and Clinical Tech II. They were taught by a female paramedic working for AMR Santa Clara County. I hear she now teaches the EMT class and I think she's clinical educator (or some other title similar to that) for Rural/Metro Santa Clara County.

She had a great personality, but like all EMT instructors that I have shaken hands with, I always felt like something was lacking. She told a lot of what you guys termed "war stories" e.g. getting a subpoena to talk about whether she saw a puddle in front of a store or not, a farmer drinking a chemical by mistake and dying, the ones that say "I'm going to die" and give you "that" look are really going to die. Sometimes class would be watching Paramedics (it's like Cops, but with EMTs/Paramedics working for AMR Alameda County), Life in the ER, Untold Stories of the ER, etc. I think all of our classes put more emphasis on skills than education unfortunately. I don't know if that's she wanted, but that's how I felt about her classes.

I did my EMT ride along with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
We had 2 full-time instructors and one was female and 4 fill-ins and one was female out of those.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
We have alot of female skills instructors for the EMT classes but non are actual instructors.

You have noncredentialed people teaching?

Where I am from in the States that will get your program shut down in 1/2 a heartbeat.

d0nk3yk0n9

Forum Crew Member
You have noncredentialed people teaching?

Where I am from in the States that will get your program shut down in 1/2 a heartbeat.

Here, you can be credentialed as a lab instructor much more easily than as a full instructor. I don't know if this is how it works where he is, but at least here in NY that's how it works

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Here, you can be credentialed as a lab instructor much more easily than as a full instructor. I don't know if this is how it works where he is, but at least here in NY that's how it works

That makes more sense.