Favorite EMS Street Tricks

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Houses with severe peanut allergies usually don't stock peanut butter.

None the less, it only takes a second t oask.

Severe or moderate can have the same result if the one with allergies comes in contact with it and yes, we do keep peanut butter in the house. It is in the cabinet with the medications and a magnetic lock, but we do keep it here in spite of my son's allergies. He knows he can not eat or touch it, but he is not airborne reactive so we chose not to eliminate our daughter's favorite food. It's prudent to check because you never know if the house has any allergy even odd ones like oranges (I've seen it believe it or not). Just because it's in the house doesn't mean your patient is allergy free.

akrall83

Forum Probie
We were taught in class to offer juice or oral glucagel and make them a sandwich if possible. PB&J is a great choice not just because of complex carbs, but also because of the protien which helps keep the BSL from crashing again. That part wasn't taught in school, but gained from 20 years of first hand experiance as a type 1 diabetic. :)

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
For the anxiety pt, or the drug seeker that new miracle drug NACL. It works wonders. Is that wrong? My EMT partner and I always give the best medicine. If you talk it up just right the pt actually gets relief. Sufficed the pt who really needs the meds gets them, but those who my gut says not sick gets NACL first.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
For the anxiety pt, or the drug seeker that new miracle drug NACL. It works wonders. Is that wrong? My EMT partner and I always give the best medicine. If you talk it up just right the pt actually gets relief. Sufficed the pt who really needs the meds gets them, but those who my gut says not sick gets NACL first.
Facepalm

Not this again.
Have fun trying to get you cert/license/ job back once you get reported.

It amazes me how people will pull this bs then whine and cry that we are not taken seriously as a profession.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I miss the OP

This thread started out well in 2011. And I was/am an advoccate of the PBJ (plus beverage) for hypoglycemic.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This thread started out well in 2011. And I was/am an advoccate of the PBJ (plus beverage) for hypoglycemic.

Agreed
Did it my last shift. A little d 50 ( maybe half the amp) then some oj, then a pb&j (my partner made it) and we were on our way.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Gave my lunch away a few times.

Fingerstick's around fifty, doesn't want sugar tabs or syrup/gel, but a milk and sandwich would straighten them out until mealtime. What inmate could refused that?