Familial angio dysplasia

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Ok wth is this? Pt sent to rule out brain bleed due to history of this. Nothing shows up on google except colon issues. Hmmmm. Unless the pt is an *** hat I doubt she has to worry about a brain bleed in her colon.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Ok wth is this? Pt sent to rule out brain bleed due to history of this. Nothing shows up on google except colon issues. Hmmmm. Unless the pt is an *** hat I doubt she has to worry about a brain bleed in her colon.

Look under: arteriovenous malformation and/or Telangiectasia

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
Familial angio dysplasia

Familial is referring to the fact that this disease is past through family heredity.

Angiodysplasia

Looks interesting.

Were you able to get a thorough history from your pt. ?

Maybe his/her family has a history of stroke due to Angiodysplasia, or they have really high risk factors.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Familial is referring to the fact that this disease is past through family heredity.

Angiodysplasia

Looks interesting.

Were you able to get a thorough history from your pt. ?

Maybe his/her family has a history of stroke due to Angiodysplasia, or they have really high risk factors.

If I could point out the definition of angiodysplasia?

"A non-neoplastic intestinal lesion of vascular dilation and malformation consisting of tortuous dilation of mucosal and submucosal blood vessles seen most often in the cecum or right colon after the 6th decade of life."

Original post from the OP with emphasis added:

"Ok wth is this? Pt sent to rule out brain bleed due to history of this. Nothing shows up on google except colon issues. Hmmmm. Unless the pt is an *** hat I doubt she has to worry about a brain bleed in her colon."

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
"Ok wth is this? Pt sent to rule out brain bleed due to history of this. Nothing shows up on google except colon issues. Hmmmm. Unless the pt is an *** hat I doubt she has to worry about a brain bleed in her colon."

I was just merely asking if maybe the patient's family had a history of "brain bleeds due to history of this".

It could just be another explanation of the need for testing.

Maybe his/her family has a history of stroke due to Angiodysplasia
I should have been more specific, If you follow my link (I know wikipedia is a pretty sketchy source) it notes that angiodysplasia is associated with various other disorders.

So.. edit:
Maybe his/her family has a history of stroke due to various other disorders associated with Angiodysplasia

I'm just trying to throw out some possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Look under: arteriovenous malformation and/or Telangiectasia

That's a big help actually. 14 y/o female without mom present due to being transferred from behavioral facility to hospital. We were doing the return trip to the behavioral facility. She could not remember her meds, the hosp did not have a full list, and kept saying "I have something called ABM"

which made no sense to me, but if she misunderstood things it could very well have been AVM...however, I'm not understanding how this relates to what I was told at the hospital as a history of familial angiodysplasia. She did have a brain bleed when she was younger. The hospital determined the recent headache was nothing more and what was shown on the MRI was "old blood" from the prior bleed, and that it is apparently "shrinking".

Some days I feel like I will never learn enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
which made no sense to me, but if she misunderstood things it could very well have been AVM...however, I'm not understanding how this relates to what I was told at the hospital as a history of familial angiodysplasia. She did have a brain bleed when she was younger. The hospital determined the recent headache was nothing more and what was shown on the MRI was "old blood" from the prior bleed, and that it is apparently "shrinking".

Sounds to me like she had both, probably from a common or series of genetic mutation.

There is also the possibility that the wrong term was conveyed, with all the similar and only slightly varied pathologies, even the most astute in pathology sometimes pick the wrong term for the disease they want to describe.

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Vene, I was starting to think that. I hate teenage behavioral transports. They are so personal medical history stupid and their parents/guardians are never there. How this became legal, I don't know, but it makes charting difficult and I assume even tougher for an actual doctor to treat.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have found that most patients aren't very knowledgable about their conditions or history.

Every now and again I encounter ones that have researched things for themselves, stay up on the latest literature, and manage their own complex medical treatments, but they are definately in the minority when compared to the total patient volumes.

I think a lot of them don't want to be bothered with it and just want to go to their healthcare provider and have it taken care of for them.

I call it "McMedicine"

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Considering my second job is McDonalds...I'm going to have to steal this phrase at some point in my career. LOL.