"Fake" Blood

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Health Officials Debate Use Of Fake Blood

Often in the most critical medical emergencies what a patient needs the most, is not available. But now, Fairfax County is trying to launch a project to put "fake" blood on its rescue helicopters.

Right now, there is no blood on these helicopters, causing many trauma patients to die before they ever get to the hospital. Real blood has too short a shelf life, but now, Fairfax wants to start using an experimental blood substitute to give the most critical patients a better chance at survival.

When seconds count 20% of trauma victims die because they lose too much blood. But by this Spring, Inova Fairfax Hospital hopes it's involvement in a national research study, will allow flight paramedics to keep patients alive with a new a blood substitute.

Full story here: http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...nId=17&id=40056

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Thats crazy. It is a great idea though. If its going to give people an extra 10 minutes of time to get real blood, then I dont see the problem. It said a few minor side effets. Nothing major or (more) life threatening. Its crazy how far science has come. :ph34r:

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
the great thing is that it is as universal as O-Neg blood.

Although not as good as REAL blood, great idea, and MUCH easier to deal with then real blood.

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Whats it going to take... about ten years before its in an Ambulance... I know out here Denver Paramedics are using it as a test item, but I have yet to hear of it being used anywhere else.