Extra classes and flight nurse?

TRnorthtier

Forum Ride Along
Two questions

First is that I am a new EMT and am working on getting into the paramedicine program at my school. Due to them changing everything while I was out of the country Im not able to start it until the spring. I have some classes for the fall but need one more. I am wondering what classes could be beneficial that are not part of a program such as chemistry or developmental psychology (My school advisor didnt have any advice).

The second is that my ultimate goal is to become a flight medic, but my advisor is encouraging me to enter a nursing program after my medic so I can work on a helo( and be a flight nurse). Im confused by this becasue arent you either working as a medic or a nurse? Having both wouldnt necessarily be an advantage then and I think I would prefer just being a medic

Thank you for any advice

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I would strongly encourage you to take a course in basic mental health. One that deals with the basic things you will see in the field like depression, addictions, schizophrenia, adolescent mental health, and mental health issues that effect the elderly. If you do go into nursing you will need a course like this anyway and it will put you way ahead as a medic. Mental health is 90 percent of our job and maybe 5 percent of our training.