experience? do i have a chance?

Bensfro555

Forum Ride Along
Hello i live in near los angeles and was wondering I volunteered at a non emergency medical transport organization could that be considered good experience for emt jobs? also EKG certified ... do I have a good chance at getting a job as an emt? :0

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Wish I could tell ya more specifically about LA, but I can't. In general, more certifications than the bare minimum makes no difference than the bare minimum because you cannot perform those skills eg you might not have an EKG available on an ambulance, and if you did (eg ALS), you cannot interpret it.

In a lot of areas, I think volunteer experience is kind of a joke.

I still try to use it. The fact that you're volunteering is good, doesn't matter if it's EMS or not. The extra certs you could argue will help you assist someone (eg paramedic) in performing a skill (eg 12-lead). It's mostly fluff in a resume and interview though since most learn it on the job in their first couple of weeks.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Agreed with Aprz. More than likely it won't help too much but you can still get hired without any experience as well. LA is pretty bad when it comes to finding a job as an EMT or Medic. However it is possible.

If possible check other areas around LA county as it might be easier to find a job there.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Well I live in Fontana /San bernadino area soon I have a better chance there?

Yes haha. You should have a better chance there (it's still hard to get hired but not as hard as the LA area). Also the scope for EMT and Medic is better in San Bernardino and Riverside county than the LA and OC scope.

If you get on a 911 ambulance fire does not run the medical calls (for LA county Fire supplies the medic). For SB and RivCo who ever gets on scene first runs the call.

If you get on the IFT side there are a whole lot less "shady" ambulance companies in the SB and RivCo area.