• No

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Depends on the animal

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
So obviously not EMS related, but I need a random selection of people. It doesnt get more random than you guys. Its for a class project....

Should people be allowed to keep Exotic Animals as pets?

If you choose, Yes or Depends....

What type of Exotic Animals should be allowed as a pet?

Some types of Exotic pets, other than the obvious, would include:

Insects and Spiders 101
Stick Insects (Phasmids)
Praying Mantis
Tarantulas
Scorpions
Giant Millipedes
Hissing Cockroaches
Antlions (Doodlebugs)
Hedgehogs
Sugar Gliders
Pot Bellied Pigs
Short Tailed Opsossums
Wolfdogs
Fennec Foxes
Goats
Llamas
Alpacas
Giant African Land Snails
Chinchillas
Degus
African Dormice
Prairie Dogs
Southern Flying Squirrels

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hissing Cockroaches

Why on earth would someone want one of those!?!

I'd want a pot bellied pig. They're so cute! Or a sugar glider, but I heard they bite.

reaper

Working Bum
Pot bellies are not considered exotic any longer. They have been classified as domesticated pets, by the courts. This was done to keep states from banning their ownership under exotic pet laws!

I have owned many exotic pets over the years. I think they should be allowed, but certain ones should only be allowed to people with training to take care of them.

One job I worked as a teenager was roaming the everglades, looking for caymans and pythons that had been turned loose by owners. These can be detrimental to the ecosystem, as they are not natural predators!

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I would say it depends on the exotic animal. I'm not averse to an exotic pet that is not dangerous (except maybe a giant snail. That sounds gross.) However, an exotic pet that is possibly venomous or could be a threat to people or other animals if it got loose would definitely be on my list of pets to NOT have.

BEorP

Forum Captain
I'm not sure what level of class this is so it may not matter to them... but if you're looking for a true random sample you won't be able to get it through a poll like this.

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure what level of class this is so it may not matter to them... but if you're looking for a true random sample you won't be able to get it through a poll like this.

Fifth Grade, Gifted Class.

Yea, we are posing the same question to a few other places.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a fence sitter on this. I've owned snakes and lizards when my kids were little. But the industry that imports exotic animals is full of poachers, breeding mills and really shady business practices. The likelihood of disease, cross contamination and introducing an invasive species into a sensitive area can't be underemphasized.

Also, where are the safeguards for when the animal is no longer cute and has been dumped in the wild? Ya know, it used to be that the price of this kept it out of the hands of the general public. Stupidity would generally have its own consequences in weeding out those who were not careful. But it seems to be that anyone and everyone thinks of the extreme as their god given right these days and the mitigation of stupidity seems to be a new industry.

Passing laws to make it illegal.. ooohhh.. that goes against my grain because it gives the public a sense of complacence that there is a regulatory body in place to protect them.. and I haven't a lot of faith in regulatory bodies lately.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
One job I worked as a teenager was roaming the everglades, looking for caymans and pythons that had been turned loose by owners.

Looking back, I guess slinging cholesterol bombs at McDonald's wasn't so bad after all... :p

To answer the question, I believe that if a person is committed and willing to learn what goes into helping an animal thrive in captivity and if they can provide a suitable and safe environment, then go for it. From personal observation, 99% of "animal problems" are really "caregiver problems".

Last edited by a moderator:

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I caught an eastern diamondback rattle snake in college, on campus no less. I promptly got bit, spent a few hours in the ED, no envenomation thankfully. I kept him (her?) in a fish tank in my dorm room for the semester, we would go out and buy mice, get drunk and watch the snake in action. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I even have pictures of it. :)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok maybe I'm missing something living in farm country but how is a goat an exotic animal? You mean people that keep them in the house like a dog or cat as a family pet or what? I know lots of people that own goats that will bring them in the house from time to time but they're not really what I would consider a family pet that is expected to be inside unless it's out peeing or playing.

Also I say yes people should be able to have wolfdogs simply because I am fascinated by wolves and have always wanted one. However they should be like guns, there should be regulations on who can breed one and probably a special training required to own one. There should also be limitations on the mix. I've heard nothing but good things about wolf/German Sheppard mixes however the Wolf/Husky type breeds generally don't have a good of an outcome. I'll get off my soap box but if anyone around here is interested in talking more about wolfdogs PM me :p

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Been hanging wioth animal regulation last couple years

and worked pet and feed gig for a year in '71.
Many areas classify PB pigs as livestiock because if they aren't eaten young as our forebears bred them for, they become big porkers...not like a Duroc or Poland but big enough.

I've liked my one or two week wild "boarders" (lizards, arthropods, amphibians) and I had two green sunfish in a tank for quite a while, but if we all go out and start harvesting it gets pretty barren out there.

Did you know that common magpies and grackles are sometimes sold as exotic pets in Japan?
Oh, and wolfdogs in urban areas...heartbreak is the outcome ususally.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ps:

many of the crak and crank dealers hereabouts keep exotics, it's almost a hallmark.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief

Oh, and wolfdogs in urban areas...heartbreak is the outcome ususally.

I agree that urban areas aren't the proper place for wolfdogs. It is the wrong environment for the dog as they are not well suited for one walk a day in addition to the potential for their aggressive tendencies to be let out. That's never something I've really considered as I never have and never plan to live in an urban area but I definitely agree. I think wolfdogs and pit bulls should be held on similar ground, both should require a license to breed and own. We need to protect the safety of both the animals and people with these potentially dangerous breeds but they are just too beautiful to get rid of completely.

mikie

Forum Lurker
If apes count as 'exotic,' then that's what I want. I want my own personal ape to follow me around, kinda like my butler...but way cooler!

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I've owned five of those on your list. They were all nice, pretty much. I'm fine with it. I want a goanna, though.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
most exotics have a bad rap for no reason expect for people that get them and dont know proper care for them, I have kept my exotics over the years and still do and with the growth or captive breed programs it is easier and easier to find non-wild caught or poached animals, just need people to make sure to check they are captive breed animals. I dont think exotics should be band because for those people like me that are really into exotics and know how to care from them we should suffer because other people cant. If anything maybe do so of a permit system or something for it like many cities do for dogs so that people would can properly care for the animals can still have them.