Examination Jitters and anxiety

Patch Adams

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Examination Jitters and anxiety is something I think we all get at some level whether we are doing a 200 question EMT Multiple choice or 2 hr practical examinations. I just had two friends who passed their training courses and know there material inside and out. We practiced together a number of times with gear.
When they went to do their licensing they had a bad case of Exam Anxiety and made a critical error (something they knew). I have done the same in the past under exam anxiety and had to rewrite a couple of times. Since I been in the field before and have experience, I don't experience the same anxiety in a real call and my training always kept me on the right path for my call. I go back to do a new course or re-cert and I got the Exam Anxiety and I know my stuff & 98% on my written. It seems when I know someone is looking over my shoulder and marking me. I sweat like Niagara Falls and my mouth gets dryer then the Sahara Desert. I get brain farts like I had baked beans for lunch.

So I do some things to help me reduce my Exam Anxiety. Meditation, stretching, Emotional Tapping Therapy, Deep Breaths, and visualizing my favorite place... While this helps me, what works for me may not work for you and I am always looking to find new ways to calm down. Any suggestions?

Patch...

I have a pep talk with my buddy Jameson.

I have a pep talk with my buddy Jameson.
LOL, Of course, but unless my examiner is and alcoholic I might even get in the door :) any type sedative would help to... Beta blockers... but other then drugs?

I have a policy of absolutely no studying the night before. Maybe some casual youtubing or trade journal reading, but no formal studying after around lunch time. Eat a good dinner, wake up early, good breakfast but absolutely no coffee, maybe tea. The trick is to get relaxed physically and emotionally. I perform much better when I am physically relaxed. Too much studying leads to trouble sleeping. Too much coffee leads to drymouth, wanting to pee, and increased thirst. You could try a beta blocker for true performance anxiety, I think that is reasonable.

But the real key is to know your shiza before going in. Practice practice practice for practical exams, say everything out loud. Then you can't mess up because its like muscle memory.

Yes, the coffee is a bad one... I drink way to much Java. Now the wife will have me taking Beta Blockers before bed :)

I've never had a big problem with test anxiety but the few times I have, as weird as it sounds but it works for me, I stop for a couple seconds, back up from my desk, take a couple deep breaths and tell myself it's just a test and just sit for a couple seconds.

Worked every time but like I said I've never had a big issue with it in the first place.

Back