Evidence Based Practice...Not that great

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Reaction score
"OBEDIENCE TRAINING"
by David V. Cossman MD.

When it was still legal, I used to enjoy “pimping” the residents during surgery. We now live in kinder, gentler times, and a nurturing, supportive work environment promotes self-esteem and self-confidence. I learned that during my re-education. So before getting to the usual board prep questions, such as “What do you do if you find an 8-cm AAA during a colectomy?”, I’d start off easy, like a short par 4 on the first hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read the article on the JEMS website and every one is tearing it apart the article in the comments section.

I've read the article on the JEMS website and every one is tearing it apart the article in the comments section.

Did you actually read any of the 5 comments on the JEMS web site? I can't find one comment that tears apart the article. All seem to bring up the debate as to delays on trauma scenes by starting IV's, but none introduce any controversy to the article itself.

I actually posted one of those comments. Not considering transport time, which the short overview of the study methods in the article didn't address, is a major shortcoming of the article. Trying to break down and analyize this study without even looking at if transport times (and please, he couldn't say something along the lines that transport times were controlled for) and saying that any difference in outcome is due to a few extra minutes on scene is stupid.

I actually posted one of those comments. Not considering transport time, which the short overview of the study methods in the article didn't address, is a major shortcoming of the article. Trying to break down and analyize this study without even looking at if transport times (and please, he couldn't say something along the lines that transport times were controlled for) and saying that any difference in outcome is due to a few extra minutes on scene is stupid.

Well, one comment is certainly not everyone now is it? I'm getting articles confused with your above statement. I think you are referring to the article that the JEMS article is referring to and not Dr. Wesley's JEMS article?

Would it be too much to put forth that it's a moot point to analyze a study like this that doesn't take into account transport times? I agree that 2 minutes won't make a difference, but 2 minutes here, 2 minutes there does add up eventually. There's a bigger issue with this study then the abuse of P values.

What the author inveighs against is a dogmatic misuse of evidence-based medicine, combined with all the nastiness of bureaucracy and the pressure to publish.

JCAHO is a parasite. Papers should not get press releases, and those press releases absolutely should not be reported in non-professional publications. Research is frequently shown to be false, and recentness of publication date should not be used as a proxy for accuracy. These are not new problems he's identifying. By linking them in an article about evidence-based medicine, he's both oversimplifying the issue and identifying the wrong culprit.

The pressure to treat healthcare like other industries is the root of phenomena like JCAHO, the fixation with Press-Ganey scores, and overstandardized "practice guidelines." In addition, bureaucracies, whether public, private, or some godawful hybrid, need standardization. For a healthcare example, think of the NHS's NICE.

The other issue that's been overlooked so far is the relevance of this article to EMS. Vascular surgeons, as the author rightly points out, are rigorously educated professionals who should have the flexibility to make decisions on the basis of their knowledge. This is not nearly as true of paramedics.

EMS works within (not from) protocols because the prehospital environment is different, but more importantly because few prehospital providers are sufficiently educated to make clinical decisions. Standardization of care is, to a point, a good thing in the field and, for that matter, in the hospital. When you're dealing with providers who are largely trained, not educated, and who have limited time and limited supervision, it is absolutely necessary.

Those protocols need to be developed using the best medical knowledge available. Without applicable research, the protocols are little more than working hypotheses (e.g. bicarb as a first-line drug in all arrests). Efficacy and cost-effectiveness research is badly needed for EMS. A narrow set of objections like the ones the author raises are not enough to argue against evidence-based practice and protocol development.

MrConspiracy,

The original article is now gone for copyright purposes (i will work on getting a link that complies with forum policy). Although it does not pertain to EMS, I posted it to demonstrate a point. The author's objections to EBM are half out of frustration of knowing that the knowledge so ingrained in him during his residency and career is now half spoiled, and that the use of studies can be contorted to force compliance with cookbook medicine or can actually be entirely falsafislable with a duplicate study.

My point was, common sense can still be applied to both the practice of prehospital medicine and medicine in general. Sometimes, we do not need a study to know that we need to transfuse an exanguinating patient.

Dr. Cossman always writes interesting editorials in General Surgery News with his own slant on the topic from a surgeon's point of view which often draws controversy from MDs in other specialties.

You can find this article and others by Dr. Cossman at General Surgery News. Registration is free. The article "Obedience Training" is in the Nov 2007 issue.

http://www.generalsurgerynews.com

Here is the article on another forum(?).

http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14095

The Heart and Soul Of a Surgeon
http://www.generalsurgerynews.com/index.asp?ses=ogst&section_id=66&show=dept&article_id=7476

Last edited by a moderator:
Back