ER tech vs. EMT

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I recently achieved my EMT-B cert. and NREMT but now I'm left with the decision to pursue either a job as an EMT or an ER technician. I'm leaning towards the ER tech job but would love some advice!! Are there any other certifications that I would need to work as an ER tech in Washington state other than my EMT cert?

A few things to think about if your looking at going the tech route. I have seen lots of second hand advice or friend of friend advice which is great but not really reliable or applicable to your particular situation. I have not seen any replies from the other people I know are techs so I would like to offer up some advice.

I have been an ER tech in Oregon for six years I am based in the peds ER but do take shifts on the adult side (where I started) when my availability allows me to. The first thing you need to do is pick your hospitals and learn all you can about their emergency departments. Every hospital is different even the ones with multiple facilities working under the same name. Knowing a particular ED's requirements and expectations will help you to prepare and you are going to need to be prepared when it comes time for your interview. The tech position is very popular and you will have plenty of well qualified people to compete against. Our last on call position brought in over 200 applications before the position was taken down and many more came in after that. You may only have one shot so you need to be ready to smoke your interview. I would start with the ER where you did your clinical rotation if you had one,you should have made some contacts and picked up some useful information.

I want to caution you on paying for any additional classes or services until you know exactly what you will need. There are many people looking to separate you from your hard earned money so find out for sure what you need and work from there. Most hospitals like to do things their way and may not recognize a certification obtained from an outside course. If I can be of any help feel free to PM me.

Jinkx

Forum Probie
This is the best post Ive seen on this subject.

akrall83

Forum Probie
At the hospital where I work as a phlebotomist in Ca the ER techs are required to have their EMT-B and be certified by the hospital as a Spanish translator. Unfortunately this has led to us having at least 1 terrible tech who was basicly hired because she was the only applicant who was fluent in Spanish. She is a nice person, she just sucks at her job.

As far as what path you should take, you need to ask yourself why you decided to become an EMT. For me, I like not being in the same place all the time and never having the same work day twice. I don't think I could handle being a tech personally.

emt/ff71185

Forum Probie
I work both as an EMT on an ambulance and in a hospital as a tech. The hospital provided me with additional training for in hospital work. I have gained valuable experience from working in the ER that would take me much longer to receive pre-hospital. Before anyone argues it, I agree that it is different experience as you are not "managing the patient care" as we do pre-hospital but their is no substitute for doing assessments on so many patients a night.

I recommend to any EMT-Basic looking to pursue their EMS career pre-hospital to work as an ER Tech for at least a while to gain this experience.

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
I am an emt-transport tech at in a hospital in Denver performing a pretty similar job to what lucids friend does plus a little bit more. It's more competitive to get an edt job in Colorado than it is to get into medical school with over 200 applicants for each spot. Being a transport Tech is the best way to get an Ed job without spending years on a rig before hand. But even Ed transport jobs are extremely competitive. I've been doing it 3 months, and they are already planning on starting my edt training within a month. It also pays more an you're than any job in the box.

PandaTom

Forum Ride Along
Glad I found this. I used to be a CNA(Hospice) til we were shut down. Nursing isnt an option right now since I dont have a 4.0 avg on pre-reqs. Trying to save up to take the next EMT in Sept to work in the ER. One of my old RNs works at a hospital now, and yes, while many here in WA want your CNA(which doesn't make sense), she said if I got my EMT I would have a better chance, since the Techs also do stuff like blood draws, foleys, and 12-leads, in addition to the obvious stocking, warm blankets, cleaning etc. I dont think they can start IVs supervised tho. I wanted to work in the OR before, but the only schools are over in Seattle, and that's not happening. I figure if I can make EMT-ER Tech, that might help with getting into Nursing later on. Or not. Who knows. I know FD is out of the question tho, cuz of my knees and back :(