ER Tech Philly Q's

mikepud

Forum Probie
I have a few questions pertaining to ER tech employment.

Here is my situation:

Starting Emt school soon
Will do 1 clinical ED shift every other week
Currently a volunteer with and ALS Co. (1 911/cath lab shift every other week)

What is the starting salary in the Philly area? (or in a similar size city or burbs)
How competitive is the job market.
Is is possible to be hired directly after school?
What is the job like?

Thanks in advance for all your replies!

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I was sort of wondering what an ER tech scope of practice is like as well. What they do on the job. I hear they are at the bottom in an ER. No surprise since you know all you need is an EMT-B cert. If any one knows their average starting wage in MA I wouldn't mind knowing. :)

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
I've looked into being an ER tech as well but after talking to my charge nurse at my local hospital she said it was pretty rare to be hired without any prior EMT experience (in San Diego county). Best of luck buddy!

Ackmaui

Forum Probie
ER Tech

Hi there, first post here..I've been an ER tech for 11 years now and it's great. I'm in medic school now as well. It depends on the hospital but mostly you are a support for the nurses. I do EKGs, blood draws, splinting, and bandaging. Crutch training, pregnancy and urinalysis. I also do blood sugars as well. I believe it has made me a better EMT as well. As for the starting pay, I'm not sure but 11 years ago I started @ $14.50.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Hi there, first post here..I've been an ER tech for 11 years now and it's great. I'm in medic school now as well. It depends on the hospital but mostly you are a support for the nurses. I do EKGs, blood draws, splinting, and bandaging. Crutch training, pregnancy and urinalysis. I also do blood sugars as well. I believe it has made me a better EMT as well. As for the starting pay, I'm not sure but 11 years ago I started @ $14.50.

11 Years ago? Lol woah. Mind me asking what state you work in? How many years of experience did you have as an EMT?

Ackmaui

Forum Probie
I work in Massachusetts and I had been an EMT for a little over a year. Surprisingly they still hired me!

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I work in Massachusetts and I had been an EMT for a little over a year. Surprisingly they still hired me!

I think I might want to part time as an ER tech. Gonna need to work for a while though. Pretty sure that at my current standing with no experience I wouldn't be hired. I got a job full time with patriots ambulance but I haven't started yet. That's funny I am also in mass.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I've looked into being an ER tech as well but after talking to my charge nurse at my local hospital she said it was pretty rare to be hired without any prior EMT experience (in San Diego county). Best of luck buddy!

Try Paradise Valley Hospital in National city. They hire EMT with no experience.

Ackmaui

Forum Probie
I think I might want to part time as an ER tech. Gonna need to work for a while though. Pretty sure that at my current standing with no experience I wouldn't be hired. I got a job full time with patriots ambulance but I haven't started yet. That's funny I am also in mass.

Where in Massachusetts is Patriots
ambulance?

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Where in Massachusetts is Patriots
ambulance?

They are in lawrence, dracut, hudson, a few other areas and the main hq is in chelmsford. I live no where near there though. I live 5 minutes away from salem lol.