Epocrates med app

piranah

Forum Captain
i just bought an itouch and downloaded this app called Epocrates...its pretty nice...anyone else use it

MedicPatrick

Forum Ride Along
I just got an iPhone the other day, and I have the Epocrates app. I find it to be helpful, too. It has more info on prescriptions than my field guide does and its information is continuously kept up to date. The pill pictures function is pretty cool, it has helped me out in an OD call where the pt didn't have the pill bottle or know the dose, but knew the name of the med and the color of the pill. Unfortunately, it doesn't have as many pill photos as I would expect. Also, the pill ID feature is cool but I haven't tried it, don't think I will need to with any regularity, and don't know how helpful it would really be.

wchawkins

Forum Probie
I worked in a pharmacy for 5 years, and when trying to learn the different drugs, what they do etc. it was really handy. It is currently on my iPhone and is great.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I have had it for about 3 years; great way to learn drugs. I look up the ones that I don't know.

Handy feature it has is the drug interaction: enter all the drugs, and use it : it shows problems, and interactions. I have pointed out to a couple of ER docs the interactions that some drugs have when taken together, and that turned out to be what was wrong with the patient

On long transports it is a nice feature also; plus it helps to figure out pt pmhx when the paperwork is incomplete. esp on really odd drugs. found out a pt that I was transporting had Leprosy and TB Menningitis; pt was not in isolation, and the ICU did not tell us anything about it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
...On long transports it is a nice feature also; plus it helps to figure out pt pmhx when the paperwork is incomplete. esp on really odd drugs...

I had it on a Palm. Then I went to a Windows Mobile phone.. it is on there.

At some point I'll probably end up with an iPhone... it will be on that.

I love the program. I don't use it often - but when I have a patient who is on an odd med, it is great. Even better to have when the patient complains of a possible medication reaction to a drug they just started.

Jon

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I have it on my palm and they emailed me a while back asking me to fill out a survey and they sent me a $30 debit card for my time.