Epipen Reactions

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Is there such thing as someone having an adverse or allergic reaction to an epipen injection?

Firstly, my guess is it would be a reaction to the suspension rather than the epinephrine. Is this a correct thought?

Secondly, would one be aware of an allergic reaction to the epipen if the patient is already experiencing another allergic reaction?

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Adverse Reactions

Yes, there are adverse reactions to epinephrine, there was a certain ski patroller who had a severe latex allergy, who also had an adverse reaction to epinephrine, yep, stopped her heart. For allergic reactions she received benadryl.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TCERT1987 said:
Is there such thing as someone having an adverse or allergic reaction to an epipen injection?

Firstly, my guess is it would be a reaction to the suspension rather than the epinephrine. Is this a correct thought?

Secondly, would one be aware of an allergic reaction to the epipen if the patient is already experiencing another allergic reaction?
I don't think you can have a reacton to Epinephrine... but I inagine you could hae an allergy to the epi-pen suspension..

and yes... I have no idea how to tell if someone has a reaction to an epi-pen.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I dont think itz possible to have an allergic reaction to epinephrine. Epinephrine is an endogenous catecholamine (meaning naturally occurring inside the body). Its a hormone.

You can have a reaction to epinephrine as it is a very potent drug but not a reaction that is allergic in nature. All the normal side effects may be potentiated in some pt's or an idiosyncrasy may occur.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't think you can have a reacton to Epinephrine... but I inagine you could hae an allergy to the epi-pen suspension..

and yes... I have no idea how to tell if someone has a reaction to an epi-pen.

I've never heard of this. If anyone has a link or more info, please post it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've never heard of this. If anyone has a link or more info, please post it.
I would think it would be like being allergic to the suspension of the flu shot.

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I've been looking more into this and it is warned that one must tell their doctor about allergies to epinephrine and sulfites. I tried looking for a credible epihephrine allergy case report, but had no luck in finding anything. I would presume, from that fact and the fact that epinephrine is indeed a horomone, that a patient would be more likely to be allergic to the sulfite suspension rather than the epi. ;)

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Does epi even have a suspension? I'm feeling really lazy and hoping someone will post a link. In every emt and paramedic textbook i've read, there is never a contraindication for epi when treating severe allergic reaction.

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Here's the link to Medline Plus.

Injectable Epi.

But I know that epi is typically in a suspension of inactive ingredients including sodium chloride, sodium metabisulfite, hydrochloric acid, and water.

islandgal

Forum Crew Member
I agree, I always was taught there was no contra to epi since its natural to our bodies. My Dad was stung by a bee at his birthday party last week- right on the lip and he thought tongue too. (He gets a severe localized reaction with swelling). I was thinking oh sh** as everyone else is going oh no, too bad. I sent my Mom for the epi pen and benadryl and luckily it all turned out well, I didn't end up giving him the epi pen but wouldn't hesitate if it was boarderline. (turned out he wasn't stung on the tongue).