emts

jremt

Forum Ride Along
Hey i have been in EMT class for 2 months and have been doing good, i got an A in A&P and after starting EMT everything was going up until i started doing practicals, wich aren't hard but what seems to bother me is the fact that am talking to a dummy lol it kind of feels weird talking to a dummy and having the teacher talk for the dummy if you know what am saying. So it kind of messes me up. i know am not the only one that has gone through this and i just wanted some advice on how to overcome this and if its something that happens to everyone and you just have to get used to it. Right know am just doing basic vitals and learning SAMPLE. THANKS!!

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
This is all about practicing the script, you need to get comfortable with the assessments and hands on with gear. Later you will be play acting for and assessing other students to get used to interacting on top of the script/algorithm you're working on now.

Short answer: take the opportunity to learn to project confidence while there's no stress.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
I feel to be a good healthcare provider is very much like being an actor. You have to be able to put on a "preformance" when talking to patients. I'm not saying you are pretending all of the time, but you have to be able to project confidence (even when you are scared or dont know the answer to something). Just practice talking and not feeling awkward. Public speaking classes or workshops would help.

OP
OP
J

jremt

Forum Ride Along
i understand what your saying. i think my biggest problem will be just remaining calm and not taking a big Shi* when am doing an assessment. i really love class and am good at it but this is the only problem i am having

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
This is why the #1 answer to "I'm taking my test, help" threads is... Don't Forget To Breathe. Everyone is nervous, until they're not =)

Visualize beforehand, take your time, get the steps down and the nerves will go away. Trust in me, I was a wreck during my first week of assessments. By the time we were doing CPR drills I was ordering people around, orchestrating simultaneous cspine + aed + 911 + bvm + compression helpers on a "code." Everyone in class was, to one degree or another. So will you.