emts and tattoos

Sett

Forum Ride Along
Tattoos

I am a Paramedic in Atlanta with a full sleeve. I also am a HAZMAT certified shift supervisor. Tattoos havent slowed me down at all.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
My department has no rule, I choose to cover them up. I have tattoos, like many people to document phases in my life. Not everyone agrees, some do it by writing, painting... whatever....

The point is, I did them for ME....

I know that it makes some folks nervous, and may even (Right, wrong or indifferent) make some folks lose confidence in me as a provider. I choose not to do that.

My boss at my "regular job" saw me at a Highland Games recently and I was of course wearing a T-Shirt and she was amazed I had tattoos... she has known me for 16+ years and never knew. Turns out she had one too :)

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
I have two tattoos, the Star of life my my Right upper arm... and the molecular structure of caffeine on my Left upper arm- I measured them to be covered while wearing uniform- so it wasn't an issue.. now i wear scrubs and they are visible- no one cares in the hospital :). Most people will ask about the caffeine molecule... and just laugh when I tell them what it is.. I figured i've been drinking coffee for almost a decade and won't stop any time soon... and with the star of life.. its going to be a part of me; its the foundation of my career in healthcare- i won't regret either one.

So I guess- do what you think its right... people are always going to have their opinions about your appearances.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Thanks for the input everyone.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
hey im starting my emt-b school in jan. and me and my wife were planning on getting some tattoos around that time, its her first one so i would love to get one with her..... the problem is that i have decided that my next one would be a sleeve on one of my arms but was just a little nervous about getting it and then being able to get hired after school is finished, any thoughts on the situation? i have no problem covering it up with long sleeve shirts or what ever just wondering if maybe my future employer would maybe look down on me and go with someone who didnt have the tattoos.

Aslong as your were the long sleeve uniform, or cover it with an underarmour sleeve they usually do not care. No one has a no tattoo policy, they just have policies stating they can't be visible.

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
Aslong as your were the long sleeve uniform, or cover it with an underarmour sleeve they usually do not care. No one has a no tattoo policy, they just have policies stating they can't be visible.

I've heard of departments with "swim" test where the whole purpose is to see if you have tattoo(s).

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard of departments with "swim" test where the whole purpose is to see if you have tattoo(s).

It is my understanding that, it was one dept. in CA doing this. And it recieved a ton of backlash, the swim test never really did serve a purpose since everyone passed and no one got canned or disciplined for having tatteroos

Lesson learned from this: When employer says time for swim test, dress like a seal!

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Lesson learned from this: When employer says time for swim test, dress like a seal!

That's what I'm sayin! I have one definite "regret tattoo" that I don't want ANY prospective employer seeing! Then again, you guys are aware theres a paste/makeup stuff made by kat von D *a tattoo artist* to hide your art right?