emt training

trailhiker48

Forum Ride Along
i am new emt. my state cert came in 1 day after surgery which is going to keep me out for 4 months. does anyone have any suggestions on how to train etc so that i don't lose what knowledge i have acquired in the short period of time that i spent training before surgery. re-reading the class textbook can only go so far.thanks in advance for your consideration.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
Browsing the forum here is a good way to keep your brain in the mix. Take a look at BLS discussion and check out Scenarios to keep your brain working. Always verify information posted here for yourself and don't trust anything you read if it isn't sourced. EMSWorld.com has good articles and training for CEU's and the like. Depending on how banged up you are think about volunteering at your EMT school with skills training and testing to keep up your psychomotor skills. If you see opportunities to volunteer for first aid tents at events and the like that might be a good way to get patient exposures. Take vitals on your family and friends. Most new EMT's will have lots of problems with this and it will give you a leg up when you get hired if you're already competent taking a good set of vitals. If you can get a copy of your local protocols that would also be a great way to study and get a feel for what's going on in your local EMS area.