EMT Training Question

M1Rifle3006

Forum Probie
I'm in college at LSU with a biology major. I really like my studies and don't want to have to take a break from them to do something else, but I would like to become a certified EMT-P.

Is there a way I can reasonably do this while still in college? I don't want to have to quit school or switch my area of studies, but I'd like to become an EMT-P while still in college.

Is this possible? How could I do this?

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Clinicals will make it rough. I suppose anything is possible though. I will say though, that yoyll be in "school mode" from juggling classes,and most likely have to brain dump after every exam. That's not ideal at all.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Why don't you look at some EMT and Paramedic programs in your area, and check if their schedules can compliment your school schedule? Think about whether or not it is reasonable for you e.g. price to attend the program, probably consider books, equipment (if any), and uniform (if any) if it's not listed on their website, how far it is from you or your school, and if you will have enough time to study for both your current study and EMS.

OP
OP
M

M1Rifle3006

Forum Probie
Why don't you look at some EMT and Paramedic programs in your area, and check if their schedules can compliment your school schedule? Think about whether or not it is reasonable for you e.g. price to attend the program, probably consider books, equipment (if any), and uniform (if any) if it's not listed on their website, how far it is from you or your school, and if you will have enough time to study for both your current study and EMS.

It's not really cost that's the problem, it's time. Is it normal to be trained as a Paramedic while in college, and is it a reasonable goal? I guess the only way to definitively tell is contacting the paramedic and EMT programs...

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know two good friends who have been able to do it (while maintaining a difficult pre-med course load at a liberal arts/research university). With that said, they dropped down to 3 courses at the university at the time, and watched their extra-curriculars closely. It all boils down to what other courses you are taking at the time, and excellent time-management skills.
Good Luck!