EMT to Army?

samienb

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm new here, please cut me some slack for starting this topic again, since it has been discussed in multiple threads already.

I just took the NYS EMTB exam and passed. I am also trying to join the Armed Forces. I would like to know, what options I have in each branch (having civilian training as an EMT entering the Armed Forces.)

I have tried speaking to recruiters in my area for the Navy, Army, and AF; however, they all just hand me brochures, because they don't have the answers to my questions.

I am leaning toward Army 68W; because I have gotten the most information about this MOS.

Thanks for any replies.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Google could be your friend to help you personally investigate what might be the right fit for you. Military.com may also help.

Basically it's like this...
All of the branches are still going to send you to their own basic training and then more schooling on their version of "EMTs" or "medics." Your EMT B is not going to be significant enough to change your "medic" training. So basically you'll do something like your EMT class again, but more geared towards combat medicine and trauma. Don't trust recruiters man.... Do your own research. And by research I don't mean movies, because it ain't like the movies... At all.
Essentially it goes as follows to my knowledge (all the special ops stuff is more training above and beyond that or regular active duty) :

Army: 68w may have you end up being a real life action hero medic in the thick of the battle, or on vital sign duty at the troop medical clinic on base. Perhaps an Army hospital. Just depends what unit you're assigned to. There's also Special Forces medic.18D.. Which is for the real go-hards... But there's a couple years of arduous training before you'll actually get that gig.

Navy: Corpsman positions are basically anything from being the "combat medic" for the Marines (a real, real life action hero) to manning the aspirin dispenser in the sick hall on a ship at sea.
Navy SEAL teams have medics also... Again, not easy to get into.

Air Force: Med tech is going to land you in a hospital or clinic somewhere in an AF or Army hospital. PJs are the most notorious special ops medics... The badasses of military medicine/rescue.

Any special ops thing you want to do is going to take some serious brass and dedication, because if you wash out you end up doing whatever job they pick for you (infantry, cook, water purification, etc.. ;). In general, a fresh peeled EMT B card doesn't really mean diddly to the military. Their focus is trauma, trauma, trauma. For instance, IVs, pain meds, and needle decompression may be standard "doc" stuff in the military depending on the unit you end up in.

If you're going to go for it and sign the dotted line then go Air Force PJ! That's what I would do. Not many make it through their selection and training process, but if you think you can handle it go for it. Even if you wash out you'll still be in the Air Force. The nicest and best cared for of all of our armed forces in my opinion.