EMT School

Jordyn Shields

Forum Ride Along
I have just started EMT school. Two days already into class & beyond stressed out. Mainly just frustrated with the new health terminology. Any advice?

Specialized

Forum Crew Member
No matter how hard it gets, don't give up. It is worth it in the end. When you become EMT certified, it's one of the best feelings in the world.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Learn medical terminology

This. Plus get ready for anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology if you're having trouble with medical terms.

Kyraababi

Forum Ride Along
Take a deep breath! New things can always be a little overwhelming. You can message me if you want!

I graduated in May

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
This. Plus get ready for anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology if you're having trouble with medical terms.
This too. All those terms tie together. You are building a foundation, if you have zero foundation already then it is going to suck. The further you get, the easier it gets to pick this stuff up since it builds on each other.

DreadPirateRoberts

Forum Probie
This too. All those terms tie together. You are building a foundation, if you have zero foundation already then it is going to suck. The further you get, the easier it gets to pick this stuff up since it builds on each other.

I'm only a week and a half into EMT school myself and I am already seeing what you are saying. Wife is an RN and I was piggybacking some of her learning when she was in school so I knew about 2% ahead of class starting, but I've been really noticing the building process. Yesterday/today was ventilation, perfusion, shock, and into pathophysiology and maaaaaaaan was it awesome!

Now if only I didn't have this dang job that took away 8 hours a day of my study time... ;D

HypOthymesia

Forum Probie
I have just started EMT school. Two days already into class & beyond stressed out. Mainly just frustrated with the new health terminology. Any advice?
Study study study. Start using the words while speaking with classmates. You'll need to know these terms not only for NREMT but also around the hospital setting to not sound like a dumb dumb.

AintNoDoctor

Forum Probie
Everyone starts out with zero knowledge. What makes the difference are those willing to do the legwork and actually learn the material they need in order to be successful.
If there were no terminology pre-reqs for the class your instructor should be aware and is hopefully making an effort to teach the lingo. Sometimes it's so second nature people use it by accident and don't realize others are confused...
I know students who bring a laptop to class and just search words theyre unfamiliar with. But remember... You're probably not the only one struggling. Just don't be the one who does nothing about it. You are the one who decides how successful you will be. Just work hard... It gets easier.