EMT Refresher Course at San Francisco Paramedic Association: What to expect?

EMSLUVR650

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to take my EMT-B Refresher Course at the EMT school I graduated from in California called the San Francisco Paramedic Association. I was just wondering if there were any other users on this forum who have taken a refresher course could let me know how it went. Basically just give me a quick rundown of how the course was conducted so I can get a general idea of what to expect from mine. I've been reading my course textbook and looking over my skill sheets (although I have not been practicing) so I can be a bit more prepared when the class comes around on August 9-11. Thx for any help or input :)

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to take my EMT-B Refresher Course at the EMT school I graduated from in California called the San Francisco Paramedic Association. I was just wondering if there were any other users on this forum who have taken a refresher course could let me know how it went. Basically just give me a quick rundown of how the course was conducted so I can get a general idea of what to expect from mine. I've been reading my course textbook and looking over my skill sheets (although I have not been practicing) so I can be a bit more prepared when the class comes around on August 9-11. Thx for any help or input :)

I can't tell you about the refresher course but if you did your EMT-B at SFPA then you know how good they are. SFPA is tied with UCLA for the number 1 program in CA. Both UCLA and SFPA have the highest pass rate which is 98% on the first try.

I am doing their summer boot camp right now and Scott is our Main instructor. If you did it a couple years ago I think Scott was around then.

Anyway I can't give you the specific advice you are looking for but they are top notch. You could always call the school to see if there is anything they suggest you do in advance.

OP
OP
E

EMSLUVR650

Forum Ride Along
Hey thx for the reply. Yes I do know Scott he was my instructor as well, and yes I did finish the course there. They are amazing in every aspect hence me going back for my refresher course. I will definetely call and see if they could give some suggestions so I will be better prepared by the time the course comes around. Thx again take care:D

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
Hey thx for the reply. Yes I do know Scott he was my instructor as well, and yes I did finish the course there. They are amazing in every aspect hence me going back for my refresher course. I will definetely call and see if they could give some suggestions so I will be better prepared by the time the course comes around. Thx again take care:D

I hope you found out the info you needed. Yeah we finished our last final on Wed and some people have already taken NREMT. I have mine scheduled Wed Aug 8th and graduation is that night.

Scott is only teaching the summer these days as he teaches at a community college in Fall and Spring. But Shawna is taking over in his foot steps and she is very good as well.

Good luck with your refresher course!

iamjourney

Forum Ride Along
Glad to hear how good the SFPA is. I live in the East Bay, and am seroiously considering doing my training over there. I've done some research regarding programs and colleges that have EMT-B training; and I've got a great feelig abut SFPA. Anyways, they are packed full for Fall, most likely I'll be training in Spring.

This kind of career is honestly something I never thought about until recently. I actually had a tramatic brain injury back in April, and am healing very well. The accident completly changed my outlook on life and my attitude; so this is why I have a newfound interest in EMS. I've read all my medical reports from the hospital and fire depatment and woud definitely like to learn more.

Ayways, I'm going to walk in SFPA very soon, check them out, ask questions about my eligibiliy etc. I have a few misdemeanors on my record, so I'll have to call the county and figure this all out.

-sarah

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
Glad to hear how good the SFPA is. I live in the East Bay, and am seroiously considering doing my training over there. I've done some research regarding programs and colleges that have EMT-B training; and I've got a great feelig abut SFPA. Anyways, they are packed full for Fall, most likely I'll be training in Spring.

This kind of career is honestly something I never thought about until recently. I actually had a tramatic brain injury back in April, and am healing very well. The accident completly changed my outlook on life and my attitude; so this is why I have a newfound interest in EMS. I've read all my medical reports from the hospital and fire depatment and woud definitely like to learn more.

Ayways, I'm going to walk in SFPA very soon, check them out, ask questions about my eligibiliy etc. I have a few misdemeanors on my record, so I'll have to call the county and figure this all out.

-sarah

Sarah I hope you choose the SFPA. Yeah they fill up fast. Hopefully you will be in their Spring class. I have been volunteering along with other classmates on Saturdays to assist the instructors teaching skills. I'll probably help in the Spring too. It really is an awesome program. They care so much about the students and the success of the students.

Bayareacpr

Forum Ride Along
San Francisco Paramedic Association
Unfortunately, the San Francisco Paramedic Association went out of business in July, 2014 due to Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. They were a wonderful organization that provided high quality American Heart Association training courses throughout the SF Bay Area. Safety Training Seminars purchased a lot of their ACLS and PALS equipment and hired many of their best instructors. They offer ACLS and PALS Classes in the SF Bay Area.

jennifercs

Forum Ride Along
San Francisco Paramedic Association
Unfortunately, the San Francisco Paramedic Association went out of business in July, 2014 due to Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. They were a wonderful organization that provided high quality American Heart Association training courses throughout the SF Bay Area. Safety Training Seminars purchased a lot of their ACLS and PALS equipment and hired many of their best instructors. They offer ACLS and PALS Classes in the SF Bay Area.

Rumor has it that they might be starting up again at UCSF...Don't know specifics, but I'll update when I can.